Camping Above 4K (really)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just breezed through the regs and I thought I'd mention a few things:

The no camping at all above 4,000' anytime of the year applies to the East and West High Peaks wilderness areas. It's been my understanding that the Dix and Giant areas do allow this (unless the new management plan for the dixes changes this) as they fall outside the High Peaks Wilderness area though they are considered the High peaks by us hikers as they are 4000 footers and are geographically close. I would check on this with the DEC or more closely pursue the regs to confirm, you may find you can do what you need to there.

If you're looking to prep for mountaineering conditions you can seek out the Whites in the winter where you would get much more of that sort of experience and where there are camping opportunities. You can also camp legally traveling in alpine style, seeking out bad weather for that sort of experience.

For me, I avoid hiking in the High Peaks outside of winter, saving my visits for special occasions. I'm mixed on winter peak camping as I'm not yet adjusted to poop tubing or wag bagging everything out, a true Denali experience.

Hmmm. Just read further: From 190.13

"5. High Peaks Wilderness Area means those lands in the Towns of Keene, North Hudson, Newcomb and North Elba, Essex County; Harrietstown, Franklin County; and Long Lake, Hamilton County described in the most current copy of the"Adirondack Park Land Use and Development Plan Map and State Land Map" on file in the offices of the Adirondack Park Agency. The High Peaks Wilderness Area shall include the Adirondack Canoe Route Zone, the Western High Peaks Zone, and the Eastern High Peaks Zone."

Seems like that could include the Dix and Giant wilderness areas. Couldn't find the map in a search.

Last edited:
Warren is right . . .

. . . about the Dix and Giant wilderness areas. But wait; there’s more!

According to info at this link, Part 190 regs covering these areas are up for amendment this year (in 2004), to wit:

6 NYCRR Part 190, Use of State Lands. Amend Section 190.13, Wilderness Areas in the Adirondack Park. These regulations will protect the natural resources in the Giant Mountain Wilderness Area from overuse by applying restrictions to camping. Contact: Robert Messenger, NYS Department of Environmental Conservation, Bureau of Forest Preserve Management, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233-4254. Telephone: 518-473-9518, E-mail [email protected]

6 NYCRR Part 190, Use of State Lands. Amend Section 190.13, Wilderness Areas in the Adirondack Park. These regulations will protect the natural resources in the Dix Mountain Wilderness Area from overuse by applying restrictions to camping and rock climbing. Contact: Robert Messenger, NYS Department of Environmental Conservation, Bureau of Forest Preserve Management, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233-4254. Telephone: 518-473-9518, E-mail [email protected]

If my link doesn't work, go to the NY DEC web site and use the search function to find "regulatory agenda 2004."

As we await the proposed amendments, I re-pose the question: Why not just go along with the spirit of the thing (no camping above 4,000 ft, etc.) rather than quibble over possible loopholes in the Adirondack regs?

G.

Grumpy you are right again...

I really don't understand why these regulations have to be so contradictory to themselves and ammend amendments with more ammendments that have exclusions that cover the entire range with small over lapping blocks of exclusions and no maps available showing exactly what they are talking about.

I am waiting for a more official e-mail from the DEC in Albany. I did get one from a local ranger friend, he says it's ok to camp above 3500 in the Cats during winter as long as there is snow on the ground. He says if you are stupid enough to do it, be his guest but don't call him out for help, they'll find you in the spring.

Thanks for that extra information, it only confuses things further. Perhaps you are right Grumpy, we should just stay off the tops anytime of year, I can't do that anymore anyway so why argue.

Enough has probably been posted already that this post is redundant, but just to add to what has been said the ban on camping over 4,000 feet in winter is intended to extend to Dix and Giant once the regulation is amended. For simplicity, the 13th edition of the ADK's High Peaks guide anticipated that the regulations would indeed be amended as proposed by the DEC. This saved several instances of having to say, "...and soon to be extended to....". The intent of the Dix and Giant UMPs was to extend most High Peaks restrictions to these areas as well, so it did not seem likely that the regulations would not be amended.