Camping Cold River Valley

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWills81

Reaction score
Hey all,

first time poster and I have a few questions, first time camping in the Adirondacks, but have camped the Whites and the Glades multiple times.

A friend and I are looking to explore the Cold River Valley but have only have 2 days and 1 night for time and are avid photographers.

My palns are to leave from Henderson Lake to Duck Hole, my first thought was to either stay at Cold river No. 1 or 2 lean-to/tent site but then I figure we can push it futher before layign down camp and looking at Ouluska on the NPT or Northern lean-to/tent site No. 1 or 2. I noticed the Northern sites are close to the river

My question based on all of your experience which tent site should we stay at? We are looking to go June 8,9th. How long you think the hike is from the Henderson Lake parking area to the proposed campe sites, it looks like there isn't much elevation gain.

Thanks

You might want to cross post on adkhighpeaks.com as there isn't much readership on this site for the Adks. The distance from Upper Works to Ouluska lean-to is reasonable (12 miles?) and the hiking is relatively easy rolling terrain. The nicest lean-to is near the suspension bridge far down the valley and is probably too long a hike for one day. The Cold River is an amazing place. (I'm sure you know that early June is prime bug season, and that the Duck Hole dam was breached and the pond is empty now.)

You might want to cross post on adkhighpeaks.com as there isn't much readership on this site for the Adks. The distance from Upper Works to Ouluska lean-to is reasonable (12 miles?) and the hiking is relatively easy rolling terrain. The nicest lean-to is near the suspension bridge far down the valley and is probably too long a hike for one day. The Cold River is an amazing place. (I'm sure you know that early June is prime bug season, and that the Duck Hole dam was breached and the pond is empty now.)

Thanks I did I'll be coming from Calkins brook trail instead of the Upper works and stay at Shattucks clearing, not to worried about the bugs, ive hiked the Glades and down they they love bug spray