Camping in Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

packdan

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning a trip to hike some northern Maine 4K.

Since most campgrounds are closed this time of year,do you think I could sleep in my van at the trailheads(Caribou Valley Road or Firewarden's trailhead) ?

Thanks
Danny

I'd say go for it! The worst thing that can happen is someone asking you to leave, which is a pretty slim chance.

I have slept in my vehicle at both the CVR at the AT crossing, and the Fire Warden's Trail up the Bigelows (never at the Fire Warden's Trail for Abraham, but I wouldn't hesitate there either...)

Enjoy the foliage!

There's actually clearing that looks like a campsite, with fire ring, just over the bridge to the right of the Mt Abraham fire warden's trailhead, so overnighting in your van seems to me like it would be fine. We parked in a wide spot just beyond said clearing.

Go for it but if you start a campfire, get a permit first.

There are some campsites across the stream enroute the Bigelow range near Stratton Pond if that is the Fire Warden's Trail you are referring to. That's not far from CVR or Kingfield. I believe Cathedral Pines is still open if you want a campground but I'm not sure if all the facilities, namely showers, are still open.

Depending how close you want to be to the trailhead, there are plenty of legit campsites that are managed by the state forest service, and well posted along the roadways. Many are very scenic and well situated for what you are intending.

If you look in the Delorme Maine Atlas they are shown as little red 'teepes'. Some of them are showing private campsites and other types, but there are some ID variations that are shown in the atlas legend.

Hi Andrew !

Just saw your post tonight.Do you have a Maine Atlas ?

Where I live the nearest place to get one would be Montreal (1 hour drive).

If you have one could you scan a page around Stratton to show me the campgrounds around there,

Thanks

Danny