Camping near Lower Ausable Lake?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&A

Reaction score
I remember hiking Gothics and noticing that there were quite a few restrictions on where to park, hike, walk, breathe, or camp in this area. Understandably so. What then, are my options (if any) for setting up camp for a hike up Sawteeth/Gothics/Wolfjaws?

You can go in at the Loj or South Meadows Campground (open in winter?) hike through the klondike notch and camp by the ADK hut, I forget the name of that area, John's Brook? From there you have several options for loops or moving camp, say up to slant rock.

The Ausable Lakes area is on private property - no camping allowed. As suggested, your best option is to go in from the Garden and camping on that side of the range.

There are a couple of designated campsites once you cross into state land along the Gill Brook trail on the opposite side of Lake Road from the trails to the Great Range. They’re a little over a mile from Lake Road and are generally used for hikes up Colvin, Blake, Nippletop, and Dial, but the terrain is fairly flat and it would be that hard to dayhike from there to hit some of the mountains on the lower Great Rang.