Camping off the Glen Boulder trail?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jul

Reaction score
Are there any viable (and legal, of course) camping areas on the Glen Boulder trail? I'm looking at the map and there seems to be an area where the contour lines flatten out a bit between Glen Boulder and Slide Peak, near the spring, but if it's just dense high scrub that probably wouldn't offer a tent-sized clearing.

Thanks in advance.

camping on Glen boulder

Your choices are camping on the alpine plants (probably illegal and definitely unethical in an area so heavily travelled) and camping in seriously thick spruce scrub. It would be difficult to get 200 feet off the trail due to thick scrub.

You would have a reasonable chance of finding a decent spot by following the Davis Path down towards Isolation and picking a more open part of woods to go to find a campsite.

Bill

I used the spring a couple of years ago to refill nalgenes on a particularly hot and humid day. I did notice what appears to be a spot for a tent near the spring - but I'm not sure how legal it is. I don't think the spring is 200 feet off the trail, so if it isn't then the clearing certainly isn't.

FYI: the Glen Boulder trail is not on the list of trails requiring 200 ft restrictions. By assumption, that would mean that the site sounds ok. Although, it's probably not too responsible to camp so close to a spring.

thanks for the info. It looks like the Isolation trail campsites or Rocky Branch sites would be better.

Also keep in mind that treeline is defined as places where the trees are less than 8' tall. Many areas that look OK may not strictly qualify under the rules.

-dave-