Camping spots along the Dry River Tr.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizzy

Reaction score
I'm planning to do a 2-nighter with a couple of friends in a couple of weeks. I want to head up the the Dry River Tr. and find a good place to camp for both nights about 4-5 miles in (near the jct. of Isolation Tr.). From there, we plan to do a day hike on the 2nd day to Isolation & Davis....and then head back out to 302 on Day 3. Can anyone tell me where I should look out for some good spots in the general vicinity ?

There are a few spots that are marked, one of which is at the Isolation/Dry River Intersection.

You are aware that the bridge on the DRT is out...
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/conditions/bridge_status.html

I was in there winter 02-03 (before the bridge was damaged). IIRC there were 3 designated campsites by the time we reached the junction with the Isolation Tr. Don't know if anything has been changed.

There was a report of someone doing the Isolation Tr between the DRT and Davis Path within the last few months. Perhaps you can find it with a search. IIRC, the Isolation Tr needed some maintenence...

Doug

dug said:
There are a few spots that are marked, one of which is at the Isolation/Dry River Intersection.

there are also spots were the Mt Eisenhauer trail meets the cutoff. also marked.

I didn't know the bridge was out :eek: .....thanks for the info. I imagine the river crossing is pretty difficult that far down the river, has anyone done it recently who could provide some feedback ? I guess I will monitor the rainfall amount in the coming weeks and hope for the best. I am a little leery of having to make the crossing with 30-40 lbs on my back.........

Thanks for the info on the campsites, too.........the one at the jct of the DRT and Isolation sounds just about perfect :D .

Some say that can cross the bridge 'as-is'. There was some thread I believe last fall where it was reported that a ranger can actually fine you for using it.

Since the water level is very dynamic, unless you have a very, very recent trip report I wouldn't trust it. Fortunately, the last time I had to cross I skied across it :)

Lizzy said:
I didn't know the bridge was out :eek: .....thanks for the info. I imagine the river crossing is pretty difficult that far down the river, has anyone done it recently who could provide some feedback ? I guess I will monitor the rainfall amount in the coming weeks and hope for the best. I am a little leery of having to make the crossing with 30-40 lbs on my back.........
It is a good sized river at that point. The drainage is pretty small so it rises and falls pretty quickly. I have read of people crossing the bridge and of people fording the river. Crossing the bridge entails personal and reportedly legal risk.

There are several trail crossings (Mt Clinton Tr, Mt Eisenhower Tr, and DRT) higher up. There has been at least one death at one of these crossings. Just make sure you have alternate plans/escape routes if the crossings are too difficult.

Doug