Camping-Success Pond Rd. area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metacomet

Reaction score
Need specifics for camping reg's around Success Pond Rd. Are there sections where camping about 1/4 -1/2 mile off road are not permitted ? If so, what about at least 1/4 mile off any trails starting from the road ? WMNF parking permit required ? Any info helpful. Thanks.

Private land

To the best of my knowledge the Success Pond road, and trails leading from it, are on paper company (private) property.

There are no rules or regulations for camping on Success Pond road as it is all private timberland owners. Note, if you elect to have a fire, you will need a permit and I believe that you have to have the owners permission.

Obviously you should stay away from active logging operations, not block roads and practice carry in carry out. Be aware that there is a party crowd that on occasion visits the area at night, shouldnt be a problem if you are well off the road but you may have some "guests" who drop by.

In the past there have been problems with car break ins and vandalism to cars that were parked long term, but it seems t have slowed down.

On the NH side, the land is owned by TR Dillon (a logging/land speculation company which bought most of Success Twp from Hancock Timber Resource in 2003) & I would under no circumstances attempt to camp there, as it is private property and a pissed-off landowner could decide to limit its use to hikers. (continued use of the Success Trail & trails to Carlo & Goose Eye, as well as Success Pond Rd itself, are at the mercy of TR Dillon)

On the Maine side, land is owned by the State of Maine, it's one of their "public reserve lands" & while they probably do permit backcountry camping, I would check w/ the Bureau of Parks and Lands

Public lands in Maine usually allow camping anywhere on the parcel, but fires are only allowed at designated campsites.