Campsite near Bigelow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnelson

Reaction score
I was planning to hike some of the Bigelow Range via the Fire wardens Trail in Oct. Can someone tell me if the Stratton Brook Tentsite is accessable by car or is it up the trail a ways? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

It is accessible via a 4 wheel drive vehicle. Most cars park about a mile up the road at a large parking lot at the beginning of the hike, but it can be accessed via a narrow, rough stretech of road. Probably better than the CVR though.

I was there 2 weeks ago. The road isn't too bad but you may or may not want to drive it to the actual campsites. We were in a minivan with about six people inside, and we scraped once and turned around before we got to the Stratton Brook Pond outlet. You don't really go up much at all-- the road just gets a little rough. A couple of deep puddles, too, IIRC. I think the main parking lot that you can certainly go to is about 1/2 mile from the pond outlet, and I'm not sure how far along that stretch the campsites are.

I have a Ford Ranger 4x2 that I negotiated up the CVR just short of the AT crossing (that last bridge). I may just pack a tent etc to the Stratton Brook tentsite afoot but was curious if I might drive to it. I'll go alone so no sense to be foolhardy and get hung up :(

I was just there last week, and I think you would be fine in the Ranger. The only obstacles I remember were the big puddles, but I think any sedan could have made it. There may be a site before the crossing, but I did see several nice ones up the trail within 1/4 or 1/2 mile or so. The pond is very pretty. Are you doing the Bigelows? My loop up the Fire Wardens trail to Avery, then down the ridge to West and the Horns was absolutely spectacular. They have drained Flagstaff Lake some and every island and most of the shoreline was ringed by what looked like white sand beaches. The color of the water is almost a blue like the Mediterrean! Very sublime. Have fun! Oh, getting across the water was cake, so even with a big pack you shouldn't have any trouble ... IPCH...