Campsite on Mt. Marshall?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

escapee

Reaction score
Syracuse, NY. Avatar: The Salamander, Glacier N.P.
Are there any designated primitive campsites along either of the Marshall herdpaths? I camped high up Herbert Brook some years back before new DEC High Peaks regulations, & was wondering if there is anyplace along the herdpath where camping is feasible and not prohibited.

Are there any designated primitive campsites along either of the Marshall herdpaths? I camped high up Herbert Brook some years back before new DEC High Peaks regulations, & was wondering if there is anyplace along the herdpath where camping is feasible and not prohibited.
Being that it is not an official trail, you are only supposed to camp away from water, and not above 4000'.

Camping between 3500 and 4000 ft is allowed at designated sites only. The point on the Cold Brook trail where the Marshall herdpath starts sits at about 3900' the same altitude as the tiny swamp from which Herbert Brook flows down and that we circle on our way to the summit when coming from the Flowed Land direction. The woods are hospitable only in the vicinity of the first .25-mile of the herdapth after that on either side of the brook the terrain is rough and tight and when the woods open again one is above the 3500 mark.

Camping between 3500 and 4000 ft is allowed at designated sites only.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I have a question about this. On the DEC Website it states: "Except in an emergency or between December 15th and April 30th, camping is prohibited above an elevation of 4,000 feet in the Adirondacks." Yet on my ADK High Peaks map it states: "No camping is permitted above 4000ft at any time of the year." Which of these two rules is correct? They seem to contradict each other.

And there's no mention on the DEC website about the 3,000 - 4,000 designated sites only rule. Yet, again, on the map it says: "Camping between 3,500 and 4,000 ft is allowed at designated sites only." I know I have seen many signs on the trail that state the latter as well. Could someone please clarify? Am I missing something? Thanks!

Depending on the area the rules varies the ones I mentioned above apply only to the high High Peaks Wilderness area (since only a few years ago). In the DIX and GIANT wilderness, among others, the rules are slightly different, the old rules still apply and I believe that there is talk about enlarging the stricter rules to those as well. The perfect example is fire building which is not allowed in the high High Peaks area but permitted in the Dixes, The Santanonis and etc.

Thanks for your replies.

The site where I camped before the current High Peaks regulations is above 3500' but below 4000'. I was hoping it might have been designated as a primitive campsite, or perhaps something on the Iroquois Pass side, which is below 4.000'. Apparently not. I'll plan on camping lower.