Can a 46er find joy at the Grand Canyon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oldfogie said:
Well, I guess that decides it for me. I WON'T go. "Established" campgrounds? Beer and wine? etc etc. Sounds exploited, like Marcy Dam on Memorial Day weekend (which really sucks). Apparently, you have to get "tickets" and make "reservations." Bullcrap. I wanna go wherever my nose leads me. That's not to say that there aren't any such places in the SE. But the Canyon sounds like another Yosemete to me. I'll just look at the pictures. Thanks anyway.
It isn't quite that bad...

* The South Rim is crowded with traffic jams etc--most people go no farther.
* Much less crowded in the off-season.
* If you get off the corridor trails, the traffic is generally light.
* Backcountry camping requires permits, but dayhiking is unrestricted. (You can hike rim to river and back in a day if you are in good enough shape (14mi+ round trip, 4000-5000 vert ft, heat and dryness).
* Some areas are limited to designated campsites.
* Some areas are camping at large--you need a permit, but you can camp anywhere in the area.
* No bear cannisters required (but there are lots of rodents :) ).
* March and April are good times to visit--not too hot yet. Summer very hot and fall "monsoons" (risk of flash floods). Many find winter gloomy--snow and ice on/near the rims, not much sun deep in the canyon.

The canyon is a very unique and beautiful place--the desert SouthWest can get in one's blood. IMHO, well worth the hassles to visit.

Doug

Go to the North Rim - you can avoid the establishment campgrounds, and we only saw people on one day of 6 hiking days. The solitude was wonderful. Or take LONG hikes, which will preclude most of the visitors who are there on bus trips. Do sit on the canyon rim, even if it's in a crowd, for sunset though. Must see for everyone on the planet.