Can a 46er find joy at the Grand Canyon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfogie

Reaction score
I'm a die-hard 46er in love with solitude and mountain splendor. My family wants me to go with them on a trip to the Grand Canyon. Can someone like me really find an Adirondack-type outdoors experience there? Thanks, and if so, any tips would be deeply appreciated.

oldfogie said:
Can someone like me really find an Adirondack-type outdoors experience there?

Probably not an ADK experience, but if you take a little time and stroll away from the main tourist area, you will find a magical beauty in that area the will be special in it's own unique way.

The colors and hues at dawn and dusk are almost religious in nature and the will surely move any spirit that appreciates the great outdoors. It won't be just the same as what you get in the adk's, but if you open your soul, you WILL hear a similar melody to satisfy you ( ;) sorry that's the hippie in me coming out ;)

If you've never been in an arid, desert-like canyon environment, be careful! You might might fall in love with solitude and desert splendor!!

In all seriousness, if a trailhead isn't within a mile of a busy overlook or visitor center, you shouldn't have to share with too many people. That, or pick a dayhike from the less visited North Rim. Of course, if you're talking about an overnighter, pick up a permit from the Backcountry Center, spend the night below the rim, and you'll get your solitude alright!!

Such a beautiful place, I would never pass up a chance to go.

Last edited:
Every hiker (and nonhiker) should see that place. It is astounding, and pictures can't do it justice. The color and the feeling of boundless space have got me hooked on the Southwest.

YES!!!!!!
You must go. The canyon is such a wonderful place. Especially when you get away from the tethered tourists. You'll find that the Bright Angel trail is the easiest to get in and out of the canyon on, and usually the busiest, but once you get past the first rest area, you leave most of the tourists behind. The South Kaibab trail has even less traffic.

Early mornings are wonderful just before sunrise - It is quiet and the rocks have that special glow.
It was after a Grand Canyon camping trip in '96 that I fell in love with the Desert, which led me to backpacking across Joshua Tree the following Spring. That's when I learned there s life after the Adirondacks ;)

audrey said:
Every hiker (and nonhiker) should see that place. It is astounding, and pictures can't do it justice. The color and the feeling of boundless space have got me hooked on the Southwest.

AMEN!

Yeah, as everyone has so eloquently stated already ......... Just go! Seriously, you'll love it. Several times there and my jaw still drops everytime I approach the rim.

Also, depending on how much time you have and where you are staying, I would also recommend hiking in and around Sedona. And the state highpoint,
Humphrey's Peak, is only about an hour south of the Grand Canyon, south rim.

Rob

I've never been to the Grand Canyon, but on a related note, I have hiked at Joshua Tree National Park in California and also parts of New Mexico. Before those experiences, I had a preconcieved notion that deserts were boring and probably didn't have as much to offer. Boy, was I wrong. The wildlife was abundant and since the vegetation is relatively scarce, animals are easier to see (I came within a dozen feet of a coyote, which I'll never forget). The scenery was also nothing short of spectacular. Since it is an unfamiliar environment, there's a good chance you'll really appreciate it. Have fun!

When I go back to Grand Canyon I want to hike and camp in the Havasupai Reservation area.
This is some info on this area. It depends on how long you'll be there, though.

Standing on the rim I thought pictures DID do the area justice, as opposed to Yosemite or The Tetons.
You really need to do some 'splorin to appreciate the area. I only got about half way down when I was there,
but that's more than most do

Since hiking in the Grand Canyon a year ago (5-day backpack) I have gone back to the Southwest two more times - in October to visit Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon, and more recently a few weeks ago to hike in Red Rocks Canyon (outside of Las Vegas) and Death Valley. These are some of the most incredible places I have ever been. It is very different from here, and I am totally in love. I think it has something to do with the enormity of the scale of things - there is little in the way to block the views. Artex is right - the desert isn't boring - it's filled with wildlife and (at least in spring) wildflowers. Barren it's not, it's just full of life in different ways.

Here's a favorite picture from Red Rocks:

Great place.

Yup, you'll enjoy the experience. Only caution is you'll have to learn to keep an eye our for rattlers. They give you plenty of warning, though.

The Canyon is Amazing!

My wife and I went out to Arizona for our second anniversary (which falls in November so there were fewer crowds) and it exceeded my wildest expectations. Our first full day out there we climbed up on Humphrey's Peak (highest in AZ) and then the following day went to the canyon. We decided in advance to do a loop with the Bright Angel and Sout Kaibab Trails. Everytime you see pictures or films, the canyon looks fake, even standing at the rim. You need to get down into the canyon and then, like Frampton, it comes alive! :) Many people just look from the rim and then just hop back in their cars. That is so sad. They miss everything. I had no idea how green and lush it was! We hiked to the bottom and spent our anniversary night camping at the campground at Phantom Ranch. We had our dinner and breakfast in the cantina (which has beer and wine) and hiked out the next day, passing within 5 feet of mule deer. This is probably one of the most magical and spiritual place you will ever visit. Don't miss it!!! Even if you can't spend the night, at least go down a couple of miles and let the canyon unfold before you.

I can't stress it enough DON"T MISS IT!!!!!!

PhillyGeo said:
Yup, you'll enjoy the experience. Only caution is you'll have to learn to keep an eye our for rattlers. They give you plenty of warning, though.

On our through-trip last year, we met a total of 4 rattlers, one on the trail and three in camp. Not one of them gave so much as a tinkle of sound, and we came pretty close! The one that was hogging a prime campsite was removed to a safe distance with a pair of salad tongs by one of the boatmen. Another was hanging around the porta-potty. :eek:

Their camouflage coloring makes them really hard to see.

Our 5 day trip in the Grand Canyon mostly followed the corridor trails and we stayed at established campsite all but one night. That day, we hiked part way to Clear Creek (I want to do the whole thing some day), and camped at large beyond Sumner's Wash. That was the most amazing place and the best campsite I have ever stayed at.

Here's a picture:

Been there several times, including hiking in the Canyon. Loved it. Hope to return.

As others have said, get out and hike--it is very different from the NE.

Its also hot and dry--heed the warnings about carrying lots of water.

Doug

It's different. It's great. Don't worry about it, just do it. You will love it.

Remember, you go down first, then up. The tough stuff is at the end. Wear a big fat hat and bring lots of water.

Steve

The GC is absolutely stunning. Havasupai is amazing, although it will be croweded. Go mid-week--the falls are truly spectacular.

Kaibab and Phantom Ranch are worth the trip, even though there are many folks there. Horseshoe Mesa is a nice day hike, and a little further from the crowd. That just scatches the surface--there is tons to do there.

DougPaul is right, adequate water is an issue. Bring more that you are used to carrying.

As for snakes, in my experience, they tend to be more of a problem in the morning when it's cool out.

Oh, and by the way, it's nothing like the Daks. :D

Having just returned from Red Rocks and Death Valley and having visited the Canyon and Sedona previously, I am a convert to the myriad beauties of the Southwest. If you go to the Canyon, do not miss seeing sunrise from the rim. You will not be alone but it was an absolutely sublime moment in my life. Truly breathtaking. At the end of your trip, you may still love the DAKS better but you won't forget the southwest.

JohnL

Well, I guess that decides it for me. I WON'T go. "Established" campgrounds? Beer and wine? etc etc. Sounds exploited, like Marcy Dam on Memorial Day weekend (which really sucks). Apparently, you have to get "tickets" and make "reservations." Bullcrap. I wanna go wherever my nose leads me. That's not to say that there aren't any such places in the SE. But the Canyon sounds like another Yosemete to me. I'll just look at the pictures. Thanks anyway.