canister stove question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBKDalton

Reaction score
I have a really random question, one I never had to think about before. My backpacking stove is a primus yellowstone-one of the screw it on, turn it on and light it types. I'm going on an extended backpacking trip soon and have come to notice that the primus canisters are not as easily found as say the MSR canisters, at least not around here. I knew it might be a pain to find canisters while resupplying anyway, but not this much of a pain.

My question is: are stoves and canisters interchangable? Will this stove run off any butane/propane mix, or must I use only primus canisters for a primus stove? The stove has always ran great and I don't really want to buy a new one.

The Primus Yellowstone has the same Lindel valve as many other common brands of canister stoves of current vintage, e.g., MSR, Brunton, Coleman (but not the now-obsolete Coleman Powermax line.) The canisters are completely interchangeable.

Some canisters are not compatible -- the Camping-Gaz Bluet that is popular in Europe is the most noteworthy exception.

Last edited:
If the cylinder will screw in, you can use it, but there may be some slight change in performance as some companies use a slightly different fuel blend to try to get slightly better low temp performance. For most conditions you wont see a difference.