Cannon via Kinsman Ridge Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summitseeker

Reaction score
4-10-16: Cannon, KRT

Trail Conditions:
The trail is dry down low before switching to trace snow with breakable, crusty ice. The ice flows are really impressive and were composed of very hard ice this morning. There are some areas of exposed rock on the ridge below the tower.

Special Equipment
: IMHO, crampons are a serious asset to have on sections of the trail but are even more essential on the descent over the large ice flows. Microspikes were used for the first section of snow/ice crust.

Comments: We started in bare boots and switched over to microspikes about a 1/4 mile in. Once we hit the iceflows we put on crampons and were glad we had them. There were some people in microspikes who were able to skirt around the actual trail, which for large sections was covered in very hard and uneven ice. The flows must have made their descents that much more tricky.

It was great to be out again with 1/2 of my favorite hiking duo. 1/3 including the dog :) Apparently I am pretty wiped out because I clicked on "Maine" for NE Trail Conditions. LOL