Can't find Lexel sealant anywhere.... HELP?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul ron

Reaction score
I have a Perception America 13.5 plastic kayak. The bulkhead of my dry hold is leaking a bit. I have been asking around what to use as a sealent and have been told Lexel is the product of choice. Perception recomends it in their repair documentation. Problem is I can't seem to find anyone that sells it or even heard of it. I've tried Home Depot, hardware stores, several of the other building n marine supply stores. No one knows waht I am talking about yet it seems to be very popular to anyone recomending a sealant online.

AS an experiment I tried GE silicon in another area of the boat, it peels off like a rubberband after curing, doesn't stick to the plastic at all.

Is there a GE or 3M product that is the same as Lexel?

AS an experiment I tried GE silicon in another area of the boat, it peels off like a rubberband after curing, doesn't stick to the plastic at all.
Plastic kayaks are often made of polyethylene. Silicone sealant comes in a polyethylene tube precisely because it doesn't stick...

Is there a GE or 3M product that is the same as Lexel?
Don't know, but googling "Lexel sealant" gives a number of hits, including Ace Hardware and Amazon.

Doug

Yup and that's why I can't use silicon.

I don't buy online and no ACE in my area. I tried West Marine, they are suposed to have it but the guys at the counter say they never heard of it nor do they have any in the store.

GE or 3M are the popular shelf items. SashCo is not stocked anywhere here in the city. I may have to mail order... but I only need one 10oz tube at $6. Does it warent the shipping cost?

Just to let ya know... I used 3M 5200 fast cure and the stuff is tenatious, sticks to everything and anything. The spots I accidentally got it on are imposable to get the stuff to tear off the rotomold poly.

So if anyone is ever in need to seal their bulkhead on a plastic kayak, 5200 is the stuff.

***Just a heads up edit... I found Lexel on City Island, the most unsuspecting place of all, Buddy's Hardware store. It's a little mom n pop joint that has everything. The owner says she has stocked the stuff for years. Sheesh, after I searched every marine supply on CI, did the job, and now I find it by accident.

Last edited: