Car camping near snowy mtn(adks)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillman1

Reaction score
I'm driving up tomorrow afternoon to sleep out somewhere. When I get to the trailhead for snowy(friday night), does anyone know of a spot to pitch a tent without being a rulebreaker? Just go into the woods for 150 feet and find a nice spot? I plan on having two smallish children with me, and this will be one of thier few times out in a tent, and a first time climbing a mountain. Many thanks in advance for any info offered. If anyone plans on hiking snowy saturday, I'll see you there--Hillman

As you said, just go into the woods a few hundred feet and set up camp. If I remember the woods were pretty open. Nice hike, fun mountain.

Brian and I want to reclimb Snowy and snag Buell, and Panther mountains as well. Are you up for that when were ready? That would be two more 100 highest.

Backup at Lewy Lake

If you need more services or can't find a suitable spot in the woods, there is a sizeable NY State campground just a few miles south of the trailhead on Rt. 30. The sites require a fee and are not well separated, but you can park right by your tent. You may want to call or use the internet to check availability.

hillman- there is a pull-off a 1/4 mile south of the parking area on the west side of 30. I see people camping there all the time.