Care for polarguard delta insulation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillK

Reaction score
I just recieved my Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover jacket. The idea was to replace my heavy 300-wt fleece Denali jacket. I've been reading conflicting reports as to whether or not compressing synthetic insulation such as polarguard delta will shorten it's life expectancy. Polarguard Delta is marketed as being extremely durable, and the jacket comes with it's own compression sack. What has been your experience with polarguard delta in regards to compression and life expectancy? Would you recommend using the compression sack, or just folding it up normally and storing it at the top of my pack to minimize compression? Also, can I really expect this jacket to provide the same level of warmth as a 300-wt fleece jacket?

Thanks,
- Bill

Last edited:
I frequently use compression sacks during a trip to fit everything into my pack, however, as soon as I get home, I remove the items and air them out. Don't store anything synthetic compressed but I think for carrying during a trip, it should be okay. That being said, I believe the less you compress it the better . . .

sli74

Obviously, if you can fit everything in without using the compression sack, there really isn't a need to use the compression sack unless you want to carry a few ozs more. The idea of a compression sack is that it stuffs your bag/jacket, etc to the smallest size possible at the expense of added weight. If you can fit the item without the sack, then by all means, do so. Definitely do not long term storage any kind of insulation (down or synthetic) in the stuff sack nor expose it to any moisture. All will lead to the eventual demise of the item. However, when backpacking, it might be unavoidable not to use the compression sack.

Being a jacket, it probably doesn't come with it's own stuff sack like a sleeping bag. Something else you might want to consider actually using the compression sack for even if you do have the space is for protection from anything point.. Perhaps crampons or anything sharp in your pack, the compression sack's added benefit is for protection so it might still be worth it to use even if you don't need the space. It's your decision but I wouldn't worry about compression during trips itself, as Sli74 writes.

Jay

Thanks Jay and sli74. BTW, the jacket did actually come with it's own stuff sack. The question was more specific to the compression of Polarguard and how that may impact it's longevity. I have enough available space in my pack so compression won't be necessary for that reason, but if I chose to use it on a regular basis for added protection (water, crampons, etc.), I wanted to make sure that this wouldn't shorten it's life considerably. I've read articles in the past where people have stated that synthetic insulation will degrade much more quickly if compressed regularly. If that's true, then I'd obviously do my best to avoid compressing the jacket whatsoever. I was just curious if anyone had any negative experiences from doing so.

Thanks again.

- Bill

I have the same jacket. (Well, the full zip version, anyway.) I stuffed then unstuffed it everyday for two months without any worries. I also stuffed it in a smaller stuff sack than the one it came with to compress it even more. Still no worries. Great jacket.

The only thing I've heard with compression sack stuffing is down. Because down is feathers, really compressing a down item with a compression sack can somewhat break some features... Maybe it's nitpicking, maybe it's irrelevant, but I've read that somewhere... YMMV. I would imagine a synthetic fiber would be more apt to survive... :)

Jay