Carman's River Long Island

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Had the day off today do to Columbus Day.....Went to Glacial Bay out east for my first time out in the south shore.....much bigger selection to choose from....rented a Perception Carolina 14ft....big cockpit, easy to get in and move my legs around....my plan was to paddle for 1 1/2 hours and then switch boats and try a different type...

This was my first time actually paddling around a wildlife refuge instead of a harbor or bay....I paddled under a few bridges, some were high and others were real low, had app 3-4 inches over my head....I followed a flock of swans and then I saw a hawk fly above carrying a fish , very cool.....it was a bit windy and my boat kept tracking to the left, I didn't like that and then when i got to a quiet area the boat stayed to the left...I brought it back after an hour to switch....I told the salesman about it....I decided to try the same boat but with a rudder....end result was that the rudder made a hugh difference with this boat....I went out and paddled for app 2 more hours about 8 miles round trip...pulled into an island that had a hiking trail on it, didn't hike, just at some snacks and took pics...met a few people on the way...always nice....saw fish jumping and plenty of birds....if all goes well I'll go next weekend to see some fall foliage...as far as the boat goes, plenty of leg room but i was working to hard to move the boat, also maybe the heavy flat paddle didn't help....think I need to go up to the 16-17 ft...take care...oh yea...some pics...

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2093404740065582691zbSdfY

Have you checked out Annsville Creek in Peekskill on the Hudson? If you want to try out other kind so kayaks, Atlantic Kayak tours rents kayaks out on the hudson over there... Yeah, a little further trip and they wont let you out of the bay but it might have different brands.... you can always check too...

Jay

Thx Jay, seems like they all carry the same stuff down here...wilderness and perseption and dagger....

The Carolina sounds a little wide and short for ya. I was gonna say try something a bit longer, maybe narrower. Tsunami 165? At least it's longer. You might like.

(If you sound serious, they'll let you test out the red Tsunami 175 in the back room of the store in Brookhaven...they'll do that on occasion - not a rental but a little test drive...no obligations)

IC, they told me they have something like that back in Northport....just to many things going on right now....need to slow down and concentrate on work, at least look like i'm trying to work :rolleyes: also got an inspection ticket today...$65 :mad: there goes 2 kayak sessions down the drain... :(