Carrigan Via Signal Ridge Overnight

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasym

Reaction score
I'm thinking of heading up the Signal Ridge trail to Carrigan on Saturday, and camping somewhere along the trail Saturday night, and I have a few questions. First, what is the breakin/vandalism situation like at that trailhead? I read that it was notorious for that. Also, what are the chances of finding a legal site along the Signal Ridge trail, especially one closer to the summit. I read something where someone said that they talked to rangers and there are a few legal sites just below the summit. Anyone ever camped here before?

Thanks

I've never heard of any vandalism/break-ins at the trailhead parking area. As for camping, there are some spots on the lower portions of the trail, before the junction with Carrigain Notch Trail. These are near the brook. I have also seen people camping just below the tower in the woods, as well as just spreading out a sleeping bag on the tower platform itself.

You could also go around to the other side of the mountain and camp near the site of the (now gone) Desolation Shelter. You would then access the summit via the Desolation Trail (very steep)

Last edited:
Signal ridge might not be the best location for camping, not flat and little if no water source.
You would be better to hike through the Carrigan notch around to the backside and camp below the Desolation trail.
Lots of excellent camping locations, rivers, ect.
Then next day, climb Desolation Trail to the summit and down the Signal Ridge out.
The hike in through the notch is easy.

Vandalism? Not had probelms, but don't leave the windows down.

Legal sites? Hhhmmmm.... I didn't think the summit and Signal Ridge side were in a RUA. My bad if they are....

There are a few sites just below the summit on the Signal Ridge trail that would barely qualify as LNT but obviously get used, as does the summit. There is water from the well at the former cabin site. I've heard nasty rumors about it, but filtered it, drank it, and haven't suffered any dire consequences.

maineguy said:
You could also go around to the other side of the mountain and camp near the site of the (now gone) Desolation Shelter. You would then access the summit via the Desolation Trail (very steep)
Last I knew, the area close to the old shelter site was off-limits for camping. Might be worth checking the current regs.

Doug

Thanks for you answers so far. So people do camp on the summit? I don't think I'd go as far as to do that, but I would like to be reasonably close to the summit and maybe enjoy both a sunset and sunrise. Has anyone else drank the water from the well?

I've camped off trail a bit below the summit. As you're heading up, there's a flat area right before a final set of stone steps leading to the top. Off to the left of the trail there's a faint path leading to an area with room for a few tents. No water, though, and I wouldn't drink from the old well.

kasym said:
Thanks for you answers so far. So people do camp on the summit? I don't think I'd go as far as to do that, but I would like to be reasonably close to the summit and maybe enjoy both a sunset and sunrise. Has anyone else drank the water from the well?
I've heard of people sleeping on the tower. Just watch out for lightning...

I've read that one should filter/treat/boil the water from the well.

Doug

I've also heard that people have used the old well as a privy, so YMMV. I'd carry water. People camp up top all frequently, either in the spot mentioned just shy of the final pitch, below the tower, or even on the platform. Based on my reading of the backcountry camping rules, that is legal.

Camping by the old Desolation Shelter is still against the rules, according to the current regs.

-dave-

Yes, the immediate area of the old Desolation Shelter is posted for no camping. I did say "near" the site. I believe that there are still signs there to that effect.

I used to drink out of the well (unfiltered), but that was when there was still a cabin on top of the tower. I wouldn't drink it now (even with a filter).

David Metsky said:
Camping by the old Desolation Shelter is still against the rules, according to the current regs.

-dave-

It has been quite some time since I have camped there and did not know this regulation. Its too bad, because the result now opens the door for those to camp on the ridge which may be out of regulation control, but will eventually become a high impacted region by default.
Perhaps better control of the Desolation site is in order, similar to the Great Gulf sites in Presidentials.

(I am glad I did not suggest a fire! Those days are gone.)
Brownie

Hampshire said:
As far as I can tell (within the Forest Service regulations), camp fires are accecptable.
In most places, yes, they are legal but officially discouraged. No fires in the Great Gulf or Cutler River drainage (east side of Washington) IIRC.

-dave-