Carter Dome via Wildcat River, Rainbow and Bog Brook

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichS

Reaction score
My quixotic quest at redlining surpassed 45% today.
Beginning at Carter Notch Road, the Wildcat River (3rd) crossing can be done over a large fallen tree about 50 yards south (right). Wildcat River Trail is dry and offers nice views of the cliffs above the Ramparts well before you approach Carter Notch. Pulpit view is great, as always. Had Carter Dome to myself (all three minutes I was there), and Hight to myself for 30 minutes. Biggest crowd was 7 at the Dome on the return. Rainbow Trail's south knob views are neat, with Boott and Washington hovering over Wildcat. Later, through the "beautiful birch woods with luxuriant undergrowth," the trailbed was totally obscured by ferns etc. and I had to be careful of sudden 6-10" drops that I couldn't see. The 1.1 mile westernmost section of the Wild River Trail was exceedingly muddy. Some areas required leaps of faith, others I pranced through, praying I wouldn't sink beyond my ankles. (I didn't.) Of course I did this twice, to get back to Bog Brook Trail, where the fifth crossing does indeed detour due to beaver activity. Pink flagging makes it obvious. The rest of Bog Brook Trail lives up to its name, with many muddy areas interspersed with lovely stretches of straight and level path.

Special equipment needed: none