Carter-Moriah Traverse: Need Advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_swede

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm doing a two-day Carter-Moriah backpack towards the end of July and I need some advice. We're thinking of doing a north-south traverse and then catching the shuttle at Pinkham Notch back to Gorham. So I'm looking to get a good portion of the traverse out of the way on day 1 (say 15 miles or so) and then getting out to Pinkham Notch by 2 PM on day 2 to catch the shuttle. Any advice on where I can legally camp? I don't feel like dishing out $90 to sleep at Carter Notch hut. ;)

backcountry rules

In the Carters, anywhere below treeline and at least 200 feet from the AT is legal, except for the quarter-mile exclusion zones around the hut and around Zeta Pass.

Terrain is not so great though - lots of spruce and fir up on the ridge. 15 miles puts you up on Carter Dome - not too flat either. But it can be done. Maybe try the shoulder just south of the summit at around 4640' ?

Seems weird to carry camping gear for fifteen miles in one day and just do the last few miles on the second day - why not do the traverse as a dayhike instead?

edited to say: Rephrasing the question, given that dawn will wake you around 6AM, and you've got to be down at 2:00, don't you think you could manage at least eight miles on the second day? Maybe look for a campsite further north?

Last edited:
I concur with nartreb. The trail has some pretty steep and difficult footing. The assent of North Carter and the decent from Carter Dome are tough enough with a day pack and water is available at Zeta Pass and a few other locations. Are you planning on doing the Wildcats? If so the Ski slopes are the easiest way down and the views are great.

Err...sorry, I may have forgotten to mention that I'm doing the Wildcats also. So basically I'm looking to do the whole Carter-Moriah range on day 1 and then do the Wildcats on day 2.

Two options as I see them:
1) I'd skip the shuttle and thumb. Might even make more sense to have your car at the destination point beforehand. I suspect that it would not be too difficult to pick up a ride from Pinkham's to Bangor Road (or Rattle River) before the start of your hike.

2) Spot your car at Pinkhams the evening before and stay at Rattle River shelter: 1.6 miles from Rt 2 (45 minutes: tops). Nice spot, but you would need to defer to Northbounders (lots of tenting options in area though) as it is on the AT. This would make your entire trip an AT section hike.

These give you more flexibility for planning your overnight stay. I prefer to have no scheduled exit time: it makes it easier to pick a good spot when you get to one (there are obvious spots). That, and getting back to Pinkham's with a pack is ALWAYS easy should you need to bail early.

Leave a bicycle at Pinkham and hike north to south. The ride back to Gorham is downhill the whole way - about 1200 feet if I remember correctly. I used a bicycle when I did this - but I did two trips - Carters + Moriah (riding from 19MBT to Stony Brook) and the Wildcats (riding from PNVC to 19MBT). I've also thumbed in this area on other trips and it was a snap to get a ride from PNVC...

Tim

There is a small flat spot where people often camp right at the height of land in Carter Notch, the "no camping near hut" sign is just beyond.

There is a small flat spot where people often camp right at the height of land in Carter Notch, the "no camping near hut" sign is just beyond.

It's nestled between the two trails just past the split--you can sort of see it here, just to the right of the sign and the left of the birch:
]

Tim