Cascade, Porter & Colden: 1/4-1/5

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_swede

Reaction score
This was my first trip to the Adirondacks since my July Great Range traverse. My long time hiking friend, Jeff, accompanied me on the trip and we originally planned on doing Cascade & Porter on day one, followed by Giant and RPR on day two. However, after being defeated last winter by Mount Colden, I felt like Giant and RPR could wait.

On day one, the conditions couldn't have been better. We climbed Cascade and Porter from Route 73, under clear blue skies, with temperatures in the teens. The summit of Cascade was very windy and I got my first taste of above treeline exposure since the summer, when rain showers pummeled me on the summit of Gothics.

3178013407_53a45a66b6.jpg

3178849186_8d3d59cca7.jpg

From there, we continued onto Porter Mountain, descended into the Cascade-Porter col and then made our way back to Route 73.

3178013093_8aab17a229.jpg

The trail was well packed and snowshoes weren't necessary, even though we carried them.

Day two's weather was a total contrast from day one. We arrived at the Loj trailhead at 7 AM under cloudy skies, with a nasty mixture of snow and sleet precipitating. At the register, I noticed a guy headed for Mount Marcy from New Jersey. I managed to catch up to him during the two mile trek to Marcy Dam and it turned out he was a fellow ADKHP member; we indirectly knew each other. He also grew up just a few towns over from me before moving down to South Jersey. We chit-chatted about hiking and I shamelessly plugged the NJ1K Club.

The trail out to Lake Arnold was well broken and snowshoes again weren't necessary. But by the time we got to the bald sub-summit, I strapped on my snowshoes for traction on the icy bald spots.

3178028401_ce8ec42666.jpg

The summit was completely shrouded in clouds, with high winds thrashing snow about; it was typical of a pleasant Adirondack winter day. :D

3178028275_bdac70ed46.jpg

We didn't spend much time at the summit and we quickly but carefully descended the steep South side towards Lake Colden.

3178864492_fc251b8f58.jpg

Once below treeline, all was calm. Jeff and I playfully slid down the steep snowy trail until Jeff busted his knee on a rock. :eek:

3178864412_e53bba44c1.jpg

He iced it with some snow and he was okay for the rest of the hike back but it began to hurt later in the evening.

Perhaps the best part of the hike was snowshoing across Lake Colden and Avalanche Lake, through scenic Avalanche Pass.

3178027827_df0d3935f4.jpg

3178027693_cbf901ee27.jpg

Before I finish, I'd like to thank the Keene Valley hostel for supplying affordable, homey lodging during this trip. I definitely met some cool, interesting folks during my stay there. :)

Pics from Cascade & Porter: http://flickr.com/photos/t3h_sw3d3/sets/72157612305745994/detail/

Pics from Colden: http://flickr.com/photos/t3h_sw3d3/sets/72157612305943996/detail/

Last edited:
Nice report, and some Awesome Pictures! I hope Jeff's leg heals up well, that's NO fun in the winter.

Yea, the KV Hostel is the best! I support them 100%! :D

Wonderful pictures! Your brave heading down Colden towards the lake. I went up and down that route this past summer. I'm sure it's a lot of fun in the winter. Were the ladders buried or did you have to use them on some of the steep stuff?

Here we go again, leading your soon-to-be-ex-friends into the wilderness for a little 'fun' and getting them lost, injured, etc.! :eek:

:D

I'm sure he'll be fine, nice pics! :D

Here we go again, leading your soon-to-be-ex-friends into the wilderness for a little 'fun' and getting them lost, injured, etc.! :eek:

:D

I'm sure he'll be fine, nice pics! :D

Bah, Jeff is hardcore and has probably suffered worse injuries while hiking. :eek: He's accompanied me on my biggest outings and he's far more brave than I'll ever be.

Wonderful pictures! Your brave heading down Colden towards the lake. I went up and down that route this past summer. I'm sure it's a lot of fun in the winter. Were the ladders buried or did you have to use them on some of the steep stuff?

Thanks! The loop we did is a "classic" according to the ADK trail guide for the High Peaks. I was hesitant to go down the South side but Jeff encouraged me to go for it, so we did. There were some really icy sections where I would have been more comfortable wearing crampons but my snowshoes proved to be just barely capable.

Nice report, and some Awesome Pictures! I hope Jeff's leg heals up well, that's NO fun in the winter.

Yea, the KV Hostel is the best! I support them 100%! :D

Thanks. I'm sure Jeff will be fine. We almost climbed Noonmark the following day before heading back home.