Catskill 100 - Irish and Roundtop 4/30/2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Perfect weather for a Spring hike. Cool enough for long sleeves and gloves, changing cloud patterns, some snow flurries, and a grounded squadron of bugs.
With permission from a landowner to climb Irish, we thought it might be fun to try something a little different and come in from the East. We had a combination of nice woods roads, some interesting short 'whacks, and a different type of summit. Right on top there is a tree stand with 5 shooting lanes, each averaging about 150 yards. The shooting lanes are each the width of a woods road. The top was a combination of prickers(not too bad yet) and some nice open woods.
Adding to the day's excitement is discoving that Bookah didn't learn anything from the face full of porcupine quills she received on Rose Mt last year. Out of the woods she runs, half of her face looking like Santa with a quill beard.
Out came the pliers and quills and she was back in business in 10 minutes.
Nose, palate, tongue, muzzle, gums....Ouch !

With part of the afternoon remaining, Joanne and I decided to check out the 'turnpike' that circles the Plattekills and Roundtop instead of scouting routes to S. Bearpen. We found a steep, red clay road that enters DEC land, walked the turnpike a short distance, and then bushwhacked the remaining 0.15 miles to the summit. Maybe one of the easiest CHH peaks going this way. Short was good, though, as we got out of the woods late with all the driving and had a long drive home.

Bookah 84/102

After a bout with an intestinal virus, I wasn't feeling quite myself so these two short mountains were perfect for me. Snow flurries and wintery temps greeted us as we geared up for the hike up Irish. I might have mentioned to Alan in passing (almost under my breath) that the surroundings looked like prime porcy country . Wouldn't you know it - Boo came bounding out the woods with a mouthful of quills ( not as bad as last year, though.) The prickers weren't too bad yet either, so the minimal bushwhacking we did was tolerable. On a whim, we headed for Bovina, drove to the end of the DEC road and couldn't resist climbing the short distance to the top of Round Top. We'll leave the Plattekills for another time.

78/102

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesh...&Uy=-r7kzfh&Ux=0&UV=831676385287_169931796306