Mount Cube 12-4-13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Judy and Emma

Reaction score
20131204-0096.jpg

On North Cube

Mount Cube 2909'

Quinttown Road/Kodak Trail/ North Cube Spur

8.4 Miles 2200' Elevation gain

Kevin and Judy

On a gray, drab day we journeyed to Orford to hike Mount Cube. We hiked the Kodak Trail from the locked gate on Quinttown Road. This trail is part of the Appalachian Trail and includes the Hexacube Shelter for thru-hikers along their way. After a quick half mile of road walking we soon turned north into the woods along the Kodak Trail. Rising moderately through mostly deciduous forest it was not long before we reached the Eastman Ledges and began to have views to our south and east. To our east the mass of Smart's Mountain filled the view which on this gray day had its head in the clouds. As is usual, the higher we went along the trail, the more snow we encountered, though it varied from none to only a few inches. Patches of ice along the trail were easily negotiated, though I wore microspikes and Judy didn't until we scrambled up icy ledges above the shelter.

20131204-0021.jpg

Hexacube Shelter

20131204-0024.jpg

Tricky

From the lower ledges we could easily see the line of Quinttown Road as it wound east through the forest below. To our south and west views were limited on this dismal, low ceiling day, but we could make out open fields and nearby hills in the surrounding landscape. We turned north and continued on, first through forest, then out onto open ledges again, passing a massive cliff wall. Above this the trees were now mostly spruce. The trail dipped down into a gully at the bottom of which ran the North Branch of Jacob's Brook where there was a slightly tricky crossing. Beyond this we soon came to the spur path to Hexacube Shelter, so named because the open-faced shelter is shaped in a hexagon, unusual for shelters I have seen. We had a quick lunch and moved along.

20131204-0040.jpg

20131204-0053.jpg

Almost immediately the trail again crossed the brook, this time on two puncheons which were several feet above the brook. I crossed the icy boards with ease in my micros, and turned to see if Jude would don hers. She did not, but moved warily across the bridge and we continued on. The trail soon rose to more ledges which afforded more views. We crossed from snow to rock to ice and back again as we made our way along, sometimes dipping back down into the woods and through Christmas tree corridors, then rising back up to ledges which gave views of the trail ahead. As we rose further up the hillside the trees began to show signs of rime which had formed overnight as low clouds passed the summit and left their moisture, now a frozen coating on their branches. Gray, featureless skies continued to hang low around us.

20131204-0069.jpg

20131204-0076.jpg

Frosted Rhodora Leaves

As we continued to rise up and onto open ledges we could now look down upon the trees resplendent in their rime coats below us. Above us the sun was burning through the thick overcast and patches of blue were appearing where before there was a void of gray nothingness. As if we had planned it this way, the sun made its appearance as we reached the summit. Dissipating clouds around and above us gave way to azure skies and the sun felt warm as we sat down to enjoy a windless snack. Somewhat reenergized by the change from gloomy conditions to one of sparkling beauty we decided to continue on to North Peak, a short hike described in the White Mountain Guide as "along an obscure side trail from the col just north of the summit of Cube". This trail is no longer obscure and is well marked and maintained. It offers some quick scrambling over ledgy trail to an outlook to the north which includes a good view of Mount Moosilauke whose summit remained obscured by low hanging clouds. There were some beautiful quartzite outcrops nestled in beds of Rhodora which must be exceptionally beautiful while the Rhodora is in bloom late May and early June. I think a return trip at that time is in order!

20131204-0081.jpg

On North Cube

20131204-0091.jpg

Looking Towards Mount Moosilauke

The views distant and near along the trail back to Mount Cube were mindful of a trip to an enchanted Christmas land with the trees decked out in white and shining tinsel. Once again the beauty of the forest engulfed us as we again rose along the trail up to the ledgy summit of Mount Cube, then began the icy descent along the southern ledges. Throughout the day we had flushed many grouse, and found their tracks along with turkey, fox and coyote along the trail. It was a wonderful hike as the murky day had given way to the sunlight and surrounding beauty and made us look forward to more hikes like this as winter descends upon the hills.

20131204-0100.jpg

Full set of pics HERE:

KDT

Last edited:
Thanks for the wonderful TR. Cube has been on my list for long time. Your TR inspired me to finally hike Cube last Sunday 12/8. I followed your route. Conditions had changed greatly. I carried microspikes, but never felt the need to put them on. There was ice, but it was always easy to walk around. The snow had melted during the week over most of the hill. I did have high clouds making for less than photogenic day, but I could see long ways nonetheless. I discovered the Cube region is beautiful indeed and intend to explore it in more detail in the future. I came across Grouseking's TR from couple of years back. Cube and Smarts Mts are the place to go in foliage season. All those hardwood forests! Yumm!

Ray

Thank you, and we agree! The section of the AT south and west of Moosilauke is outstanding! This should include Black Mtn. as well, though it's not along the AT. I must try to remember to return in fall because it is as you say a beautiful hardwood forest, surely glorious in autumn colors! Certainly underrated for its lack of 4ks, but worthy of visiting nonetheless!

KDT

Thanks for a great review and a nice reminder of one of my favorite walks in the Upper Valley. If you park at the base of the Cross Rivendell Trail on Baker Road, you can follow the so-called road down to Quinntown, go left on the old road up toward the Thomson Farm, go up Cube on the AT, and then down the Cross Rivendell Trail. That's about 8 miles and a wonderful 1/2 day, especially on snowshoes in winter. Another cool half-day is to drive to Quinntown, then go up Smart's on the Daniel Doan Trail and down the AT. Or you can do the full loop over both summits and make a full day of it. What a rush it must be for NOBOs to get their first really good views of the Whites from these two beautiful summits!

Thanks for the suggestion!

This is a classic old-new Appalachian Trail loop that follows the old, circa-1970s AT route (Baker Road from the Cross Rivendell Trail trailhead to Quinntown Road [the "old road" you mention] and the Kodak Trail trailhead), current AT route (Kodak Trail to summit of Mt. Cube), and then back on old AT route (the current Cross Rivendell Trail from Baker Road to the summit of Mt. Cube).

The loop is about 8.6 miles -- with a side trip to the DoC's Hexacuba Shelter and its nearby Penta Privy, of course, off of the Kodak Trail -- with about 2400 feet of elevation gain. The grades are gentle and, as you've read from some of the previous posts, the views are frequent and fine.

If you are look closely at the landscape as you walk this route, you'll see, amongst a number of artifacts:

a. old, circa-1920s-30s DoC signage (the current Cross Rivendell Trail up Mt. Cube was an old DoC trail, complete with camp a few tenths of a mile from Baker Road)
b. a section of fine, 100-year-plus-old granite block (versus granite field stone) dry-stacked stone wall; and
c. the original corridor for the old DoC trail that later became the AT that later became part of the current Cross Rivendell Trail -- the original trail ran straight up the western slope of Mt. Cube, while the current trail uses a number of switchbacks that cross back and forth on the old corridor. You might even be able to spot an old AT blaze or two on this section.

Winter is an excellent time to do this loop, as well -- the lower sections of the Cross Rivendell Trail that are bogs during much of the year are frozen solid, and the mud pits that are much of old Baker Road near where it connects with Quinntown Road are frozen, as well.

Thanks gents for the great suggestion! I was wondering about doing something like that. It is nice to get confirmation. I'm quite comfy with moderate off-trail navigation that would be required. What is traffic like in the winter on these routes? What can one expect by way of packing out? It would be fine breaking trail in less traveled sections, but not entire route.

Barkingcat's loop is excellent. A couple of us hiked a longer version last year with a car spot, taking the Daniel Doan Trail to Smarts and then heading north to Cube and down by the Cross Rivendell. Both peaks are splendid on a clear day. In that vicinity, another "old/new AT" loop perfect for a solo hike combines the Lambert Ridge (current AT) and Ranger (old AT) Trails to the summit of Smarts and its excellent tower (conspicuous for lacking electronic detritus). Both Trails have wet sections, esp. the Ranger, so I imagine Winter would be a good time for the loop. The Lambert Ridge Trail has many good views, such as this looking east to Smarts from the Ridge:

Smarts%20Mtn%20%20Lambert-Ranger%20Loop%20008-L.jpg

The AT section immediately to the south is also an excellent hike, although more suited to a car-spot. Fine views from South Moose, a ledge north of North Moose and especially from Holt's Ledge (a/k/a Dartmouth Skiway), which is closed for falcons during part of the Summer:

Moose%20Mtn-Holts%20Ledge%20AT%20011-L.jpg