Catskill Fire Towers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
This summer, all 5 remaining Catskill Fire Towers, (Balsam Lake, Red Hill, Tremper, Overlook, and Hunter), should be open most weekends for visitors. All but Tremper have a cabin, and Tremper has a lean-to near the summit.

For more information, check out the Catskill Fire Tower Project on Facebook.

Ah, the Catskill fire towers. I grew up in Nyack, NY. My first real hikes and my first backpacks were in the Catskills. I haven't hiked the Catskills since the early 70s but back when I did it there was a fire tower and a lean-to on the top of Slide. I still remember it that way. It's obvious that the fire tower is gone I don't know about the lean-to. I still can see my dog Skipper chasing porcupines out of the lean-to all night long up on the top of Slide.

Ah, the Catskill fire towers. I grew up in Nyack, NY. My first real hikes and my first backpacks were in the Catskills. I haven't hiked the Catskills since the early 70s but back when I did it there was a fire tower and a lean-to on the top of Slide. I still remember it that way. It's obvious that the fire tower is gone I don't know about the lean-to. I still can see my dog Skipper chasing porcupines out of the lean-to all night long up on the top of Slide.
There are no leantos above 3500' now, and camping above that level is not allowed unless it is winter.