Catskill3500 finish, 4/5/08...reality is messy

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhihn

Reaction score
“Things are seldom what they seem.” (G. S. Gilbert)
“There’s a sucker [or two] born every minute.” (incorrectly attributed to P. T. Barnum).

This was our last of the Cat3500 (but not our last Catskill hike by any means!). We had already postponed our trip once from a couple of weeks earlier (probably shouldn’t have), and picked yet another weekend with iffy weather. In spite of the forecasted rain, there appeared to be a clearing trend. Speaking of clearing trends, it seemed increasingly clear to us that Alan didn’t want to go with us. Citing bad weather, a possible other shorter hike that we should consider instead, and complaining about our desire to finish before the dinner, he even scheduled a short walk at a local golf course with Joanne to encourage us not to go (she fumed at home afterward!). Ultimately he emailed us saying he decided not to go.

“In these matters, the only certainty is that nothing is certain.” (Pliny the Elder)

We had posts, PMs, and emails from people who were looking forward to joining us. Throughout the day before the hike, one by one, they dropped like flies on a window sill (“can’t make it,” “gotta work,” etc.). Apparently our hiking companions were going to be Jay, Cindy, and TeeJay. A great bunch that had traveled far (TeeJay from Syracuse) to join us on what we were told was a less-than-interesting peak (we were later to disagree with that). But would even these people show? Some had never contacted us. We’ll hike alone. Edelweiss (my favorite hiking partner) and I are certainly capable of climbing the stupid mountain by ourselves!

Functioning on a mere two hours of sleep (I often don’t sleep well before a hike), we started intentionally late so as to allow the weather a chance to move out. We were pleasantly surprised to see Jay, Cindy, daLunartik, Haunted Fox, rockysummit and his friend John at the trailhead. So that was the group – plus Sucker#1 and Sucker#2. Weather was probably in the 40s, cloudy but with peeks of sunshine.

Eagle is a very nice peak, especially at this time of year, with open woods. Beginning trail was snow/ice, then mostly bare until near Haynes (a few inches, patchy). At this point, we were sad to hear that TeeJay decided to turn back. Certainly no lack of capability (he was ahead of everyone), but he had a long drive back to Syracuse and was concerned about his car. After a beautiful ridge walk, the snow increased to a foot or so. No one had snowshoes, and they really weren’t necessary, though there was some postholing near the summit. We took lots of longish breaks to chit-chat, and we lunched on the ridge.

As I hiked, and recalled the board cancellations, my thought was that Alan had corralled Jim and Ralph into doing a different hike. The hike was not a happy one for me at that moment.

Reality is messy.

At the high point on the trail, we hung a right to the true summit (nice open area with a cairn). Surprise!

Partners in Crime: Peakbagr and Bookah, hermit, and all of the above (including some who really couldn’t come). All of the above, except for Sucker #1 and Sucker #2.

As Cindy took our picture, who should walk out of the woods but Alan, Bookah, and Ralph! They had bushwhacked up and waited an hour for our dilly-dallying. Alan brought with him Cat3500 patches (earlier hand-delivered to Alan’s house by David White, in on the prank). Lots of summit pictures were taken. We did an easy bushwhack descent to the cars, though with the warmed up snow we all did a lot of postholing. Topped off the day with dinner at Bria’s in Phoenicia, that unhappy feeling having completely disappeared, knowing that I was in the company of uncommonly wonderful friends.

Dick

Last edited:
And what a fine day and finale it turned out to be. As Ralph and I sat, walked, paced, and checked out the rest of the summit with Bookah for 2 1/2 hours, a little thought crept into MY mind. As we stood there in the breeze driven fog, what if the 'marks' (a term that came into useage during the preplanning of the hike) got onto us, and planned to leave the trailhead even later, turning the trip around on us?
Jay arrived eventually and said the rest of the group was a half hour behind. Ralph and I now used the time to hide the packs and snowshoes.
Bookah had already had her patch conferral ceremony and now it was time to keep warm and spring the surprise.
With Cindy's yelp on hitting the cairn, we knew that Dick and Jo were right there. Bookah heard the approach of Aunt Joanne and fraced to the summit clearing to greet them. After a minute or so of Bookah's greeting, jumping and licking the new arrivals, Ralph and I strolled out from behind the blowdown and we're greeted by Jo with "WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING HERE". One of those magical moments where logic (Bookah swarming them) disconnected from reality in the Twilight Zone.

Like all good stings, the science is in the setup and our friends, Dick and Jo more than obliged. The final piece of the puzzle was delivered when I was out a couple of days earlier with Jo and briefly mentioned doing a short Cat100 instead of Eagle and then changed the subject.
Bookah didn't know she completed the 3500, just that it was another day of chasing mice and squirrels and running around on the mountain. Congratulations on your 3500 guys. I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

Peakbagr

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=avk6ugum.2ibfbi46&x=0&y=p7vo1k&localeid=en_US