Catskills - Fir Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halia and flammeus

Reaction score
Portrait of a malinois at play (serious business!)
Has anyone been up Fir Mountain lately? Just wondering about all the delights awaiting us - we are planning to head up from the Biscuit Brook trailhead tomorrow. We would welcome advice re: favorite routes, current blowdown conditions, height of nettles, bugs... time of the party at the lean to ;)

Last time we tried gaining all the elevation on the trail, headed toward Big Indian, and then bushwhacked over from there. The blowdowns were so thick (and we were very unprepared - late start, etc) we had to bail out. I think every other step some part of me was getting hooked on a stick: shoelaces, beltloops, pack straps... it was unbelievably annoying. For Flameus' sake, I hope it's not a repeat performance!

Thanks,
Halia

Last edited:
fir

We hiked up Fir this past winter and there was a lot of storm damage near the summit, but of course with the snow it wasn't too much of an issue. We took the trail to the lean to and then followed our compass bearing to the summit.
I think we actually crossed the steam in some sort of steep and difficult way and then ended up on the trail at the other side of the stream crossing and continued on our way along a ridge towards the summit.