Chase Mt 8-8-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Had my eye on this 'whack for some time. I had originally planned on the canoe/hike with peak_bgr and bushwhacker on the morning of the Gathering, but that would have involved keeping Bookah cooped up all day back at home.
Took the Hurricane Mt trail from the O'Toole T/H and then whacked the peak after the trail split from the Weston Mt trail. Low down the woods were open and fern-y, a little thicker closer to the top. There is a tall and steep cliff band 2/3's of the way up but we located a ramp thru it.
Moose droppings and sign higher up. In places it was pretty thick, but no big deal. Put on goggles on the way down, letting me move a lot quicker.
The first ledge below the summit provided a view toward Hurricane. But the 2nd ledge, right below the top was a beauty. Lots of nice rocks to sit on and blueberries all around. There is also another wooded ledge to the south of the summit.
I peered down into Connors Notch. The guys had mentioned its a spectacular place and I considered trying to pick my way south and then east off the top, but since it was just Bookah and I and not on the printed route I'd left at home( thanks again, Neil), figured the steep rocky terrain was probably not a great place to get injured. Prescient self-advice as I took a wicked header on the way down my up-route, breaking my fall with my nose and almost smashing my glasses. Besides, I'd miss the food and beer at the Gathering.

A few pictures:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=avk6ugum.cmioe1ya&x=0&y=5rsr4m&localeid=en_US

Sorry I couldn't join you on this nice little peak--and what a nice view across the broad valley to the High Peaks! When I went in 2005 I contoured into Conner's notch, quickly saw that I wasn't going up the wall, and then found a reasonable ascent around toward the northeast side.

For those who don't know where this is, just look over toward Hurricane Mt from Rt 9N near the Baxter Mt Tavern in Keene (also opposite the Baxter Mt trailhead), and you will see the notch (about 300 feet deep) below Hurricane Mt.

Let me know when you are ready to check out Red Rock and Potash Mt.

I went crusing by your place and remembered to let you know I'd be in your backyard. Maybe Autumn for Potash and Red Rock. Got a bunch of hikes I'd like to so in a small area all over there.