chesley mountain 11/25/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 11/25/13

trails: tower access road, atv trail

conditions: there is room to park a couple cars at the gate of the communcations tower access road off of ten rod road in farmington. this road is 1.3 miles west of the junction of ten road road and meeting house hill road. there is a gate and some signage about access that specifically says hikers are welcome. the dirt road makes a short, but steady climb up to the communications tower on a sub peak of the mountain. from there i headed south picking up an atv trail that led up to the highpoint.

equipment: blaze orange.

comments: being that i live in the area the large tower on top of chesley is a prominent landmark and for years i have meant to look for access to the peak. on the drive back from another hike i decided to finally check it out heading up ten rod road. intitially it did not look promising as the road is plastered with no trespassing signs, but i figured there must be a road access for the tower and found the gate for this road set off a bit uphill. i was pleased to find the sign welcoming hikers. a fair amount of tree growth around the two summits limited views, but there were some nice looks to nearby hussey (still trying to find a non posted way up that one) and prospect mountains from the road. some looks to the moose mountains as well if you poke around. i'm pretty sure there are some open ledges on the mountains northeast spur, but ran out of time to check them out today. great to be out.

bryan

[email protected]