Chopper Overhead Signals Moose Study Underway in Northern N.H.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
No word on whether Rocky is doing the flying:

CONCORD, N.H. -- Northern New Hampshire residents may see a helicopter overhead in the coming weeks as the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department's latest study of moose mortality and productivity gets underway. Fish and Game has contracted with Aero Tech Inc. to collar moose for the study. Activity will be weather-dependent, but could occur any time between January 20 and February 2, 2014.

During this time, residents of Success, Berlin, Milan, Cambridge, Dummer, Millsfield and Errol may notice a low-flying helicopter. The collaring will take place in Wildlife Management Unit C2 and the eastern side of WMUs B and C1. The Aero Tech wildlife crew will use net-guns and tranquilizer darts to capture the moose and collar them. Residents with questions can call Fish and Game's Wildlife Division at 603-271-2461.

Chopper Overhead Signals Moose Study Underway in Northern N.H.

Thanks for the link. I'd been looking for particulars on the study update.

Fish and Game staff has recently proposed a fifty percent reduction in moose hunting permits to 139 – for the last couple of years it was 275. As recently as 2007 it was 675.

I personally think the ticks will drive the population to threatened status within a few years. Nothing in the climate trend tells me anything different.

And it doesn't help that they killed 4 calves with tranq guns...

We did have a couple of good cold spells with minimal snow cover that is supposed to be bad for ticks. By the way tick killed moose have been around for 10 plus years. My brother in Milan had one die on week in his neighbors yard and one quite close by on his property a month later. Both were ghost moose with heavy ticks infestations