Coal Smoke

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnelson

Reaction score
When I get anywhere near the Presidential Range, as I have recently on Isolation, I can smell the unmistakeable smell of coal smoke as I approach a summit ridge. Then as I sit on top gazing at Mt Washington I see great plumes of jet black smoke from the trains! How can we complain about pollution from the Ohio River Valley(rightly so) but feel it's ok to belch black coal smoke and cinders at the rate of a ton a trip. what happened to converting these things to natural gas? I know it's tradition here but so was draining old motor oil into the ground. Any thoughts?

Was this intended to be a reply to a previous thread?

We have this discussion on these boards on a fairly regular basis, and most folks are in favor or reducing the impact of the Cog. But while it looks and smells bad, it really doesn't have a huge impact on the environment away from the tracks. Air pollution, in the form of acid rain, car exhaust, power plant emissions have a much greater effect.

There have been several efforts to convert the cog to oil or natural gas, hopefully the current attempt will work. Bottom line, though, is that the cog is grandfathered and very little can be done to force the change.

-dave-