Colden, a 4K First

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

percious

Reaction score
In case you were out of town this weekend, the weather forecast for this past weekend was fairly dismal. Our best chance for good weather turned out to be the Catskills, and after perusing a bunch of options, we settled on a little peak in the heart of the park by the Name of Hunter.

2000 feet of elevation gain may seem like a bit too much to put a 4 year old through, but I knew Colden was up to the task. Besides, I knew there was a fire-tower at the top and Colden loves towers. So we started off, Myself, John, Nathan and Colden. It was a father-son affiar. The boys were tired from the early start and the long drive, but it was not too long before we reached the cold spring spouting out into a large bucket. We had followed a shallowly graded horse trail which was pleasant in that it allowed us to walk hand-in hand for as much of the journey as we wanted. This proved to be the fastest form of travel. A few beverages were left to cool in the bucket while we hauled up the last 1/4 mile with a few 100 feet of elevation.

We soon spotted a nice respice behind a recently burned shelter and got our camp prepared. Nathan and Colden helped me collect wood for a fire while John set up our tent. The evening meal was organized in the top of the bear container. A tarp was placed over the firewood and pit in the event that it would rain. The sky was rumbling. We were off.

We passed a few junctions and finally reached a sign for a spring. Thunder started to boom. We hunkered down waiting for a bit to see if the storm would pass quickly. We were certain to be close to the top, but turned back as not to get shocked. It started to rain, and we arrived at camp soggy, but no worse for wear. We sat in our spacious 4-man and soon the rain let up. Dinner commenced, the fire eased the onslaught of black flies. Some of our beverages turned up stolen, save one which the thieves left. Nice of them...

We nodded off to bed.

(cont.)

Last edited:
Morning Oatmeal was shared by the party, and we packed for home. There was enough food left for one more day! Into my pack went enough snacks and water to get us tower-side and back, and we headed out.

The boys were especially energetic, and the trail moved quickly underfoot as they raced each other from water bar-to water bar. We made the first mile and 750 feet in less than an hour. Soon we were at our turn-around point from yesterday and carried on in the hazy morning. It was getting warm already. There were two other hikers at the tower when we arrived, and we exchanged some greetings before heading up. Colden's excitement for the tower soon turned to fear as we reached the second of about 4 stories. The enclosure turned out to be locked. We took a few pictures and headed down. It was time to find the high-point.

We passed the observatory before hitting the trail and found it tough-going with all of the blow down. The children seemed to have an easier time navigating it than the adults! We soon reached another trail junction and knew we had gone too far. Thunder was rumbling. We returned to where I had seen a trail turn off earlier. We tried to find the exact high point, but the going was tough with the little ones in the dense bushwhack, and I decided we were just splitting hairs anyway, so we called it the high point and started our trip down.

Morning thunder was booming while we hiked down. We moved swiftly through the flattest areas and were back at camp in about 1/2 hour. Once, again our tent saved us while we ate some lunch. We were a bit soggy. Lightning flashed no more than 1000 feet away from the tent. Quite loud!

We packed up and headed out in the rain. It stopped for about 45 minutes on our way down before turning into an absolute downpour 10 minutes from the car. Soggy but safe, enduring but one "meltdown" near the end, Colden stood beneath the hatch of our metal steed. Believe it or not, both boys will be happy to spend another soggy weekend with their fathers.

(there WILL be pictures of this one!)

-percious

Ok, So it took two weeks to get the site up and functional. Phew.

Coupla hundred lines of Python later... and:

http://percious.webfactional.com/album/108
DSC02076.JPG

Voila!