Colden/tabletop 3-5-11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewseeker

Reaction score
COLDEN AND TABLETOP
3-5-11
WINTER

I started out with my concerns right off due to the rains being forecasted but with past knowledge of how the weather can change decided to just go for it and take what was giving to me and my partners in crime, Adam, Paul and Ed felt the same way. So at the wee hour of 6 am which we where just a few minutes late, started from the Loj headed over lake Arnold to Colden first.

From last years two hikes into red/cliff/,sky/gray I remember this trail very much so and its one long section that climbs. The morning was warm around 30-35. The winds where rushing thru the trees much stronger than our trip to wright/Algonquin 2 weeks ago. What would we be in for on top of Colden? Well shortly we found out after breaking tree line. Much of the same, full body amour including much higher winds which could loose your balance . Most of the path was easily found with few spots blown in and two wrong paths which Ed placed a branch in the trail to divert. Once again, above tree line we all made progress thru the winds which today looked white again!! ;) Over the false summit roller coaster trip and up onto Coldens Ridge. Ed tied a few orange ribbons for our return if needed which where removed on our way back. It was certainly a different view, the large rock you scramble thru is buried and you walk around it on top almost. Trail signs almost buried in depths of snowpack. Finally reaching the summit and enjoy some rescue from the winds tucked over by the balancing rock. Some pictures a video and everyone wants to backtrack. Removing the ribbons and once off the ridge after removing our Amour plating a very quick decent down to the shortcut over to TT. We would say goodbye to Ed here. It was a pleasure hanging with you Ed , until next time.

Off we go just the three of us having summitted Colden around 10:30 and now Tabletop is in our sights. Myself and Adam have never been on this trail yet. It travels nice and open for a bit until you hang a right hand turn then climbs steady for about .5 hours before dumping you out on the other side of Indian Falls. Quickly we make the Junction and begin the climb. So far the weather Mans been wrong about any of the rains, just blowing snow/ice pellets. A real nice day to be out. We made quick work thru the tight path to the summit. Winds where cutting thru us even in some tree protection, seeming like the temps where almost dropping. Another Joy of being with friends on #2 of the day. Paul did a few but slides in the steep sections which I heard a few whoots of pleasure. Back at the Marcy trail at 1:30 all feeling good, now were off to Phelps.

Soon the weather changes, now its not snow/ice pellets, its rain mist. Running into a few guys headed to Marcy there coats are wet already. Concerns of there safe travel on a day like today, now raining infiltrate our brains. Before I know it im getting wetter and its picking up. At the junction of Phelps a 10 minute conversation about the rest of today ends with our decision to not tempt the wet soaking rest of the day and happily enjoy the two we have. Beat feet back to Marcy dam where snow covering the wooden Dam are now gone. Rain seems to be increasing. Finally I got chilled and kicked into overdrive. Just wanted to be out. Finally reaching the truck to weather now is now classified as Rain. Many skiers coming from the dam exit along with myself. I was surprised to see over a half dozen of new people headed in to camp as we all are coming out. I was happy to peal off the wet layers and climb into a dry shirt and crank the heat. Adam and Paul arrived to do the same but the truck is warm by now for them.

Was another good day with friends, Mother Nature cut our trip short a little but , hey I’m not complaining. This brings me up to #33 for winter, 22 this year, what a year for me. Now how to handle the extra 2 feet of new snow next week!!

" Ed tied a few orange ribbons for our return if needed which where removed on our way back."

Great move! A climber from Montreal (http://fousderando.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4149) reported that the very same day he climbed Colden from Lake Colden intending to exit via Lake Arnold but upon reaching the false summit late afteernoon visibility was very poor and he could not find the trail down, you tracks were already gone! He kept trying figuring he would eventually hit it but spruce-traps were deep and exhausting, so he made the smart choice to turn back and go home the way he had climbed up!

Last edited:
SORRY TO HERE OF HIM NOT FINDING THE TRAIL.. IT WAS BLOWING. WOW WAS IT.. nOT COMING FROM LAKE ARNOLD AND NOT KNOWING GUESS ITS WAS THE BEST, MOST OF ANY TRACKS THERE WHERE JUST A SMALL DISTURBENCE IN THE SNOW WHICH IS HOW I FOUND THE WAY AFTER PAUL FOUND THE TRAIL OFF THE FALSE SUMMIT. TO BAD IT WAS A NICE TRAIL DOWN TO LA. DIDNT THINK LEAVING THE RIBBONS WAS PROPER. WE DID RUN INTO ONE MAN COMING UP THE SAME WAY WE DID THAT DAY ALONE. IM SURE HOPE HE WAS ABLE TO SUMMIT...