Colorado rembering a Climbing Freind a pet My frsit big Climbs after my injuries

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGF1

Reaction score
Avatar. The Maroon Bells . I live In NH and Near
Hi All,
I do not post much but do read as I can. I just returned from Colorado and some interesting adventures including a unintended Night hike to a beautiful alpine lake and Cathedral peak for some B+ W photos of the Elks the 13,943 ft peak has some of the best views of the Elks and the narrow ridges and Rock towers make for some cool B+ W photos with a red Filter to really bring out the contrasts and darken the sky . Along with a slow film that has almost no grain . . .I thought I set the Alarm for 3: 30 so I could be down low before the Afternoon storms I am not sure what time I got up. At least I have some very nice photos of the early AM light on the Peaks reflecting in Cathedral lake, saw a porcupine that was very fat, it has a steady supply of food from hikers no matter how neat they try to be I spotted a Mt lion that leapt amazingly fast when it heard me slowly making my way up the steep headwall the full moon made headlamps unnecessary . and let me see elk and mule deer grazing . I could hear coyotes yipping I think they knew a human was in the area and humans mean food those guys will carry a 20 lb pack away easily or if they are habituated have learned how to" beg" like any other dog. They will come right up to you and sit down hoping you toss them something. Sadly people do.
The Scramble up Cathedral's Summit is not particularly difficult if you are comfortable on loose rotten rock have a helmet and can ignore the sound of rocks falling a thousand feet of so. The gully to the summit ridge a class 3 scramble on loose red colored sandstone boulders that are all sorts of sizes that like to come loose when you use one as a hand hold! in fact the whole climb is very unstable and is on smaller rocks that can act like ball bearings sending things rolling along with you, at great speed down hill so each step is unnerving even to the most experienced in the area . The Summit is well worth the Effort and even though the ridge is a Class 2 hike at 13,000 feet is not so easy for some one who has just acclimated enough to climb 14 k peaks. The Wind took my hat and blew it somewhere to the northeast well away from me. While taking some photos having lugged a light weight tripod I was going ot use it along with my 645 cameras I an get amazing enlargements from this format So now I had to put sunscreen on my head, the intense sun will burn you with out you knowing it .
On the way down I noticed it was getting very warm and storms were brewing so a quick stop at a ice cold creek to fill the water bladder and drinking a full quart to my surprise ! I had lots my hat and was feeling the sun as the route and trail have little shade until the last or first mile depending on which direction you are going . It passes a large hanging valley surrounded by high peaks that are the same color as the well known Maroon Bells I took some photos and then moved as fast as I could to my vehicle and air conditioning! The heat wave effecting the whole nation was made barely tolerable by altitude!

I had one more climb I wanted to make for personal reason ten I would go where I thought I could take some good photos.
North Maroon it over looks some of the most spectacular valleys in North America. My climbing Friend from the UK had died in a accident earlier this year and one of my cats (not the hiking cat) was hit by a loser drunk who had been spending his Friday afternoon with Jack Daniels , he spent the weekend as a guest of the state sans his liquid buddies and fortitude . I had a photo of both my friend and Elmo my cat along with the last Email Chris had sent me. In a ziplock bag to place under some rocks just off route below the 14,014-ft summit. I knew of the place that I wanted to place my small memorial to my friend and beloved cat also a friend both are deeply missed. The climb starts out easy enough a unofficial climbers trail leads across the creek which can be dangerous if there is a lot of run off or a heavy thunderstorm. Up a steep slope to a rock glacier that at to the ridge is elf from the 11,800 ft point the climbing becomes class 3 and 4 ledges and gullies that have a way of drawing you upward past rock towers we and cliff were only mountain goats tread escaping their predator the cougar ,and following hikers in hopes of smooching A snack . Marromts and Pikas whistle and chirp out hiding in their burrows in the rocks safe from hawks who will dive in for a easy picking . The route is relentlessly steep often exceeding 50 degrees with lots of short class 4 scrambles up ledges that are home to yellow aven and a purple flower that is very fragrant .

At 14,00 ft I take short diversion on the very narrow ridge to a small ledge that overlooks the Maroon Creek valley filed with Aspen maroon and Crater lakes turquoise from he silt in them spruce and then alpine meadows on the long ridge of spectacular Pyramid peak with its alpine basins one filed with rocks another wildflowers alpine willow creeks and waterfalls . A peaceful and inspiring view. It is in this small ledge I find some rocks and place them over the photos of my friend and cat. A few tears come as I will miss them both. This is a good place to have a small memorial have a note I leave with it. For them I know of other memorials like this on these peaks I leave them undisturbed. I know they mean a lot to someone. From hear the Summit is a short scramble and I sit at 9 Am looking out at a see of peaks broken by long glacial valleys and then Fravert basin a huge alpine basing filled with wild flowers even from 3 –4, ft above them I can see specks that are mule deer and elk grazing a Mt goat interrupts my thoughts and brings smile. I take a photo of it with South maroon in the background, People are now coming up not a lot but a few. They too are entranced by the views and we talk mostly about the places we can see and they ask about climbing Pyramid, if they can climb this peak they can climb Pyramid it to is spectacular .
On our way down we see a young couple with out helmets and in sneakers looking a bit uncomfortable. They ask how much further and how difficult I am honest about the route ahead , they ask if I could help them down . As they realize they are in over their heads afraid and not comfortable at all. Patiently they follow me down, with encouragement along with helping them down climb the small class 4 ledges they are soon safe at the rock glacier We hike back to the Parking lot at Maroon lake where I learn thy are staying near where I am in Snowmass Village A offer of a meal at a Mexican place in Aspen and I have made two new friends along with knowing I placed something special on a special peak maybe the Mountain Gods looked kindly on us as he day was perfect not a storm only the heat at 11,00ft and lower. Shade and a fan solve that. AC is not common or needed above 8,000 ft usually and I am staying at 9,000 at least temps drop into the 40's at night.
Later taking a shower I notice a huge red rash on my upper thigh. Waking up feeling very sick off to the ER I go, where I am treated for my reoccurring Lyme disease. My time in Colorado is now limited to lower shady places due to the Doxycycline and Lyme disease that haunts me for life .
I always wonder what is the reason ticks exists nothing eats them that I know of, all they do is spread diseases and infectious microbes and are near perfect vectors for all sorts of nasty infections some we are just learning ticks carry ad infect a host with sometimes it is a disease not associated with ticks. Could it be they exist to pass on microbes yes I know we need them but I do wish they were not so harmful.
My time in Colorado ended by photographing wildflowers in easy to reach basins and gulches. A few waterfalls and marmots . Staying at or below 12,000 ft . Only one last hike up 12,600 ft Buckskin Pass to take in some views watch clouds build up into storms and daydream remembering the good times with my friend and my Elmo the no climbing cat who wold curl up at night and purr while I was drifting off to sleep . If only the drunk could feel my loss. The DA has declined his plea of rehab and AA meetings. Instead of prison! Unbelievable that any one would have that audacity when facing a felony. I will not go into .Well I have to speak at his sentencing as he faces a number of charges along with his felony animal cruelty being one as he deliberately hit my cat because he hates cats he told that to the arresting officer and I heard it! I am glad I was too upset to throw a sucker punch. . I sure will not show any mercy as he had not a bit of concern for me or my cat only getting away from the cops and avoiding his responsibility meaning being locked up

Now I am looking into photographing fall foliage hear in NH Any one have a favorite waterfall below 3000 ft with deciduous (leafy) trees even if it is not well known of off trail well a short ways. Let me know, I am hoping to put together a number of foliage and waterfall photos . Both Color and B+ W .
PM me if you do no want to make it public all I will do is title the image a waterfall in NHs White Mts. and a name a nearby peak
In the same vein is Hawthorn falls worth the bushwhack?
OH Vermont say from Mt Mansfield South, or Western Maine south of Grafton Notch is ok
Hope Everyones Summer is going well and the heat is not getting to overwhelming .

Last edited:
Nice trip report. Sorry about your friend and your cat, it seems like hiking is a good way to memorialize them. I've been to some of the places in your trip report (Cathedral Peak, Maroons, Buckskin Pass) and I'd love to see some of your photos.

Trip Reports is the wrong forum for your New England hiking and photography questions. It would be better if you posted a separate thread in the Q&A forum.

-dave-

RGF1 said:
I always wonder what is the reason ticks exists nothing eats them that I know of.

I'm so sorry for your losses. I too recently lost a cat, she was 18. Not that I'm glad to have lost her, but I'm certainly grateful I didn't have the added pain of losing her to the careless stupidity of another human.

As for ticks, there are several kinds of birds that eat them, including chickens.

I too am sorry for your losses. Glad to see a post from you though and it sounds like quite a set of hikes.

Just for the record, I have some friends with chickens and they say they eat ticks also. I believe them. :D

Keith

Thanks for the post, Rick. Good to see you're back into hiking again!

Your memorial reminded me of when my grandfather died. He lived in the Adirondacks for years and had to move to New Mexico for his health. My mom used to make balsam pillows for him every once in a while so he could at least smell the north woods. When he died, we weren't allowed to be present for the burial as he was laid to rest in a military cemetary in Santa Fe. My cousins and I returned a day later, found his grave and I was able to place a handful of balsam needles in a shallow hole I dug and sprinkle some needles over his grave.

Dave Thanks Tes hiking isa good way to t rember those who have passed away even a family pet . Ill have the photos shortly 120 flim takes a while to have developed andI just got a new scaner soley for phots I am still learning how to use it . Hopeflly my phots will look much better than they did from the flat bed scaner .

Chickens Eat ticks ! ugh i cannot inagine any thing eating ticks they sure do not look like any thing woiuld want to eat them . I wonder if chikens raised for food get them and eat them and then undecooking the meat causes illnes?

JB Thank you for you kind words . yes Placing something on a gave or a place that is specail to that person helps a bit . I will miss both of them deeply . I must say the last year or so has been tough on me . i am hoping for a better fall. and nice foliage .

Thanks again Rick

Nice report - never met you, but recall your post about your injury, etc..

Nice to see you back out there - I enjoyed your report of the climb. :)

Hey Rick
I love reading your posts, your descriptions are so visual, I can only imagine how amazing the photos are. As you know, Colorado is my favorite place on earth, its such a spiritual center....sorry about your kitty, I know you've mentioned the hikes you shared many times.
Glad you are back and hope you are getting stronger with each new day,
Sabrina

Thanks . Oh it was a differnt cat that gothit . "my hiking" cat is still with me she is semi retired we just went up Castle peak this time as nice 14,262 ft peak a LONG hike then a steep 1/2 mike or so scambl;e She stayed in the pack expect early in the AM on her harnessshe s does not go as far now. but canme out ot eat and such I cannotreally take her as far due ot my injuries . I really pushed on cstel with her in a haver pakc But I was alone and did not see any one ! it was nuce all day just stoms as i got ot theRod Oh it is one of those 5,000 ft vertal rise hikes and not any upos and dwon just Upo and then down alonga very open trail. Soio I had ot bring alot of water. We enjoyed a nie waterfall on the way doen and drinking some ice cold water. along with just enjoying being inColorado . i wonder If i will be ble ot fly with her io opn aplane again ?
But itstill is sad when a pet dies espcially unexpetedly and for no reason than sonme idiotwanting ot drink to much and drive .

Yeah Colorado Is my favorite hiking place now . I can get up high andhave great views even if i am not up for a long steep hike . and Ther are less crowds even in Aspen . I think that the rock filled trail in te east hav taken thir toll on me over the years. i remember a coiulpe in ther 50s yearsago telling me that one day all my runningover roks would catch up with me . they were right . Now if only thetails ion the NE can all be re made with out the rocks as a means to prevent erosion .
I need a llama to carry stuff . ifI wanto go over nigh I amgoing ot try it next time i paln on being in Co foraawhile . Snowmass lake smeems like agood place to try that i an carry my camera, snaksand wter and the Llama can carry every thing else.
Haveing a permenent injury is not fun I envy those guys who can still go like crazy at 40 . it is worse when you are in good shpe out side of being injured . :(

Rick, Thanks for the TR. The mountains are indeed a great place to escape. On my very first climbs of 4Ks, I used to bring a picture of my cat, Clemmer, who died at 16. She and I connected, and it was as though she could read my mind half the time. Now, don't peg me as a "cat freak," because I do love dogs as well. But there is definitely something special about certain pets. It's especially sad to see one taken by the carelessness of a human.

Hang tough!

giggy said:
Nice report - never met you, but recall your post about your injury, etc..

Nice to see you back out there - I enjoyed your report of the climb. :)

ummmm, What he said.... Sorry for your losses too.