Colvin-blake 6/26/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewseeker

Reaction score
COLVIN/BLAKE
6/26/09
SOLO

I’d been planning for a few days to hit Blake and Esther as they are the ones left behind. While hiking Colvin this year I didn’t get to Blake cause it was very icy. Two yrs ago I missed Esther because in November my lungs where hurting from the cold weather due to that 1+mile up to Marble and I missed it. Well instead I thought it to be better and stay in the same range and finish, so I did. After being home for 2 hours looking at the weather for Friday I decided to pack and go, arriving at the ausable parking about 11:00pm, was dark and quiet. The last 1 hour I was driving and watching the lightening from over beyond Lake Placid hoping it would stay dry for me in the morning. I soon feel asleep with a 5am alarm. Alarm rang out and I snoozed it 2x. The skies where just getting light and looked clear. I packed quickly as the no-see’ems where biting. Left the truck at 5:30am. Sighed the register and was off for the long road walk. Arrived at my turn at 6:30am. This is my second time up to Colvin. The walk was ibit different but I remembered plenty of it from winter. Climbing was easier in a sense but the footing was worst than in snowshoes, not as smooth. I summitted Colvin at 8:50am. It was still cool and no pesky bugs. Quick break as I knew it to be a long trip over and back. I reached Blake at 10:03am, wow what a climb. Tried to take a long break but by now those pesky varmints where hungry….I stayed maybe 15 minutes if that and was on my way after a few pics and some me time thinking about the climb to get there. And so I was off…
This re-climb reminded me of coming back from RPR. It put the burn on these old legs. Arriving back to Colvin I took a nice break and enjoyed the sun and clear views as far as the eye could see. As clear as in winter but without the cold and snow.:) It was early and my choice was Sawteeth or side trip to Fishawk Cliffs/Indian head. I figured I wanted to enjoy the great day so I opted for the cliffs and Indian head. Arriving to the cliffs at12:40pm I was greeted with a nice breeze and stunning views. Now the skies had clouded some but not to worry, not looking like rain. Enjoyed myself for awhile and headed to Indian head. Looked like a quick walk which it was but what a climb up the last section. Again the wind was stiff and very enjoyable in the warm sun when I arrived at 1:15pm. Plenty of pictures taken to capture the day. I didn’t want it to end. Finally I must bid goodbye.. What a picture perfect day, another one for me in the High Peaks. I looked at the map and chose to take the trail back to Gill Brook instead of the boathouse. Another very nice trail. After you finish the steep decent it’s a wonderful walk back to the intersection. Now it was just business as usual out to the road and back to the truck arriving at 3:20pm..Can’t express the pleasure I enjoyed out in the wilderness…
After getting ungeared I drove to the river across from Marcy Field and enjoyed a “bath” and change of clothes. While still having time to kill I had to stop at the ausable Inn and partake in and UBU or two along with dinner. After drove to LP to check in with peeps and got and Ice-cream at Stewarts along with ice for my next days adventure.
Back in the parking lot laying down around 7:30-8ish listening to the radio(NPR), I was quickly falling asleep. I turned it off and never heard a thing till morning when a car came into the parking lot, around 4:30am with two guys preparing for there journey. :D