Crane Mountain & Cran Pond Loop - 8/4/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 08-04-2012

Trail Conditions: Dry, the 15 foot ladder on the top looked less sturdy than it was. Several false trails at the top leading to other views and campsites. Stay near the edge & you'll be fine.

Special Equipment Required: Suntan lotion and water, it was hot & humid on Saturday.

Comments: Optional -on climbing up the trail, we came across the junction for the pond or the summit & we opted for the summit first, tackling both ladders on the way up. The short one was fairly typical but the longer one was a single ladder that had some loose stones under one side. I felt more comfortable sending the kids up the rock face which had plenty of holds and edges for them as they scrambled up. I spotted from the ladder and by the time I got near the top, I opted to go up all the way. (260+ maybe 270 including gear) On the way back I figured after the pond, we would come back to the junction I mentioned above but instead the marked trail comes back to another trail & brings you back on the Putnam which is an old woods road. The pond is very pretty and the fish were hitting flies as we watched.

Kristina, Nicholas & Mike P.
[email protected]