Crescent Range questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-o

Reaction score
Hey there,
I'm thinking about doing some sort of loop in this area.
I would like to hit Randolph, Crescent and Ice Gulch.

I have never hiked this range before so, looking for a little local info on where to park.

Originally, I was thinking Sargent Path.
Going clockwise. A little whacking from Crescent down to Cook Path, then catch Jimtown back.

Not sure how the parking is or how the conditions would be in the gulch.
Just looking for suggestions.

Thanks for any info.

The Gulch is best done later in the summer on a hot and hazy day as its one of the last spots to melt out in the summer, I wouldnt go near it until late June early July. Your proposed loop is ambitious. I would suggest driving up Randolph Hill Road and parking at either the field across from the Ice Gulch trail (there are signs) or up the road on the left at the paddle tennis court. There is also parking for a couple of cars at the Mt Crescent trailhead. The club is supposed to be building a parking lot at the far end of Randolph hill road but I am not sure of the status.

My suggested route for the entire range is Pasture Path to Lookout ledge then the Crescent Range trail over Mt Randoplh and Crescent, then if you insist a bushwhack down to the Cook Path and on down through Ice Gulch and out back to Randolph Hill Road to your car. Note this is a long day,most folks would be happy with just doing Crescent and Randolph leaving Ice Gulch for another day.

Ice Gulch is definitely not a "book time" trail, plan on 2 hours to go the 1 mile down in the Gulch.

By the way RMC offers a RMC 100 patch for those who have hiked all their trails.

Sargent's Path parking is a small gravel lot room for 3-5...Ledge Trail near Ravine House site also has ample parking when there's no snowbanks..I have done loops from both locations but did not include the Gulch..from what I understand peakbagger's info about the Gulch this time of year is very accurate..enjoy!