Critique this Mt. Washington "Hike"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&A

Reaction score
Dec. 31st: Begin to hike/walk up Mt. Washington auto road around 5:00 PM. Approximately ten-twelve hours later expect to reach the summit. Watch the first sunrise of the new year. Hike down. This would only be attempted if good weather (ie. some visibility/no major storms) were predicted.

Comments?

The new moon will occur on the 30th at 10 PM, so there won't be extra illumination. 12 hours for an 8 mile road walk sounds like a rather slow pace. Maybe leave a little later?

Oh, and Wow! that sounds like a fun night!

Does the auto road get plowed in the winter? I assume snowshoes are advisable if not. Expect company at the top?

One comment is that you are legally required to buy a pass to the great glen cross country ski area in order to walk on the auto road. This policy seems to be enforced randomly as some folks have not had problems and others have been asked to turn around. If you elect to buy a pass you will need to buy it in advance as the office is not open early.

The other comment is that this is a very long exposed hike without a lot of good options for bailing. The normal route via Lions head has better shelter and once you break Lions head, it becomes quite obvious if its worth continuing.

"The normal route via Lions head has better shelter and once you break Lions head, it becomes quite obvious if its worth continuing."

I assume the only problem with this option is trying to complete it in the dark. If leaving at 12-1 am to catch the sunrise, it would be much slower going (I imagine) on trail than on wide-open road.

peakbagger said:
One comment is that you are legally required to buy a pass to the great glen cross country ski area in order to walk on the auto road.

The other comment is that this is a very long exposed hike without a lot of good options for bailing.
I'm also of the opinion that Great Glen Trails closes at dusk, you are not allowed to be out after that. Whether you would rather know or not know for sure is up to you.

I am not a fan of the new Lion Head winter route. I would say that because the road is much faster walking than the trail, your time above treeline might be about the same. If you are good with a glissade it might be quicker to the road via Lion Head but also more dangerous.

You will want snowshoes to walk below treeline so as not to harm ski tracks, and crampons above - at least to carrt.

I always hike into Hermit Lake Shelters at night, it's an easy hike. The Lion's Head trail, while steep in sections, isn't that bad at all. And once you top out, it's a decent hike to the summit, but one that never seems to end...

Depending on weather, wind, snow/ice, be aware that the Obs Snow cat may have opened the "winter cut-off route" from the 4200' pole ( just above treeline). This route "cuts off" the exposed 5-mile grade and the hairpin Cragway turn and re-enters the established roadway at just about the 6 mile marker. Depending on the wind direction, this may or may not be in the lee of Nelson's Crag, but overall is a more sheltered route for the Obs SnowCat to negotiate. Also cuts off some distance ( maybe as much as a half mile).

In the dark of a new moon, headlamps and spares, for sure, prudent to have both Snowshoes and Crampons

The Winter Snow Coach from Great Glen will likely be running ( daytime hours only) and that is a Mattrack-equipped vehicle. Does NOT go to the summit, only to the 4200 foot post. That elevation and location should be obvious. The first 4 miles will be in the trees and broken-out.

The only tracks ( if any are visible) beyond that will be the Obs Cat Tracks. When you reach 4200 foot ( 4 mile park) , you will have to differentiate your best route AKA the broken trail from the unbroken, in weather conditions you won't know til you get there. May not be easy to decipher if it is windblown/drifted above treeline, as the Obs shift change happens on Thursday, weather permitting.

As Kevin said, you may have company, not a bad thing considering the variables.

As to the "buy a pass from Great Glen" question.... Great Glen won't be responsible for you using a dated trail pass outside their declared business hours and off their current "open" trail routes. Know you won't have a leg to stand on with Great Glen if you get in trouble when poaching.

Breeze

I would agree with kevin here - the tucks trail is basically a road - you would have to really work at getting lost on it to hermit lake - really, really work at getting lost.

and the fact that you have to buy a pass to walk on the road is pissing me off - what utter crap.

Last edited:
giggy said:
I would agree with kevin here - the tucks trail is basically a road - you would have to really work at getting lost on it to hermit lake - really, really work at getting lost.

and the fact that you have to buy a pass to walk on the road is pissing me off - what utter crap.

Gig,

I am not dissing your "pissed-offed'ness", and indeed many people either climb over the Auto Road Bridge Gate that is prominently signed "CLOSED", or use the other Great Glen Trails access bridge over the Peabody ( going right past/ or climbing over the sawhorses with the sign that says " EMPLOYEE PARKING ONLY"), and then " ducking the rope" that signals the trail system is "closed" at the "other bridge".

Its pretty hard to miss the fact that one is on private property, and most folks hike with no interference....... but it is gated, signed, roped and privately owned.

Breeze

Last edited:
Ok in all honesty - I am not that pissed off. I hear ya - butt...
I wouldn't hike the road anyway - I just think its nuckin futs that you would have to pay to hike - (not drive) the road to the summit. Now ifs it 5 bucks to park your car - then thats OK.

as Bill O'Reilly would say - this is the most ridiculous item of the day.

breeze - no offense intended

The Climb from PNVC is 4200 feet & the auto road is a couple of hundred feet lower at least. you could park at PNVC & take the Old Jaskson Road Trail to the road.

In certain conditions the road may be faster, Descending it on 11/19 it seemed that way but it's wide open for a long time & on 12/30 could be covered in snow & wind blown ice making crampons a good idea.

What's your winter experience, a 12/31 evening trip up is pretty ambitious, the rescue people don't go up nights so in an ER, you've got a long wait until AM if conditions are not life threatening to the SAR folks