CT hiking route requests

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceNsnow

Reaction score
I will be heading from Albany down to the Housatonic River area and will have some time to spare. Can anyone recommend some climbs (I realize that I won't be doing any mountain passes :) or trailrunning routes that may be enroute?

Thanks in advance!
Inge :)

The A.T. sort of runs the west ridge above the Housatonic River from the MA border to Gaylordsville CT. There are scrambles, STEEP hikes and flat-outs next to the river available...if'n ya kin give us more specifics about what ya'd like to do, we be happy to oblige !

nothing specific

I was looking interested in favorite highpoints or other points of interest. I have a buddy that lives in Gaylordsville so maybe I'll just bring my mt bike?!

Thanks again for the idea, Chip!

How about a bike along the river and a scramble (with adjacent climbing opportunities) to a view on a section of the AT ?
North of Gaylordsville in Kent you can access River Rd via Skiff Mtn Rd which is on the west side of the river north of rt 341, west from Rt 7 and Kent Center. River Rd and the other roads in there are dirt. There's a parking lot a ways north on the left where the AT comes down off St John's Ledges. Drop your bike in the lot and head up the AT. This is a scramble when you get to the ledges. People also rock climb there.

Other than that, the classic standard loop hike here is further north near the MA border. Under Mountain Trail to Paradise Lane, drop down to Sages Ravine, rest, then head back south on the AT over Bear Mtn (scramble up) down the AT, down Undermountain Trail to your car, but no biking in there.

This post has lots of good info.

From a runners perspective, the best loop is up the Undermountain Trail to the AT to the Summit of Bear, down the north side, right turn on Paradise Lane and back down Undermountain. You can run almost all of this, except for a couple pretty steep spots on the way up, and then picking your way down the north side of Bear, but the rest is runnable.

Race Brook trail is beautiful, but too steep for most people to run (me included). But once you get to the AT, you could run south over Race, along a great riddge and then all the way through Sages Ravine, and out Paradise Lane and down Undermountain. But then you'd need a car or bike spot to get back to your car.

The Elbow trail (if you can find it) from the back of the Berkshire School on route 41, is pretty runnable all the way to the AT, then you could run most of the way up Everett. But again, unless you want to go out and back, you will need a car spot to get back to your start point if you to down to 41 another way.

If you, like me, don't mind combining some running with some hiking, then there are many many options in these mountains in NW CT and SW Mass.

Good luck!

lovetohike!

Thanks for the enticing advice. Due to a change it plans, I will have to wait to explore this area. But I greatly look forward to my next opportunity to visit these places for a run/hike.

Thanks again,
Inge :)