Custom Backcountry Skis

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mink319

Reaction score
This weekend, while cleaning out my basement I found an old pair of skis that were my brothers when he was about 7. They are Rossignol downill skis, about 44 inches. I thought that if I took off the downhill bindings, and buy 3 pin XC bindings and put them on there I would have a nice pair of short and wide XC skis for rolling terrain in the backcountry. So I took off the bindings, and I am going to order those 3 pin bindings and put them on the skis. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on this?
Thanks in advance.

Well - They will have no camber - Meaning that any wax you put into the pocket (or the middle 3rd of the ski will probably drag a little, but also wear off very quickly.

You may also not have as much flex in the ski, which will definitely make turns a bit more difficult.
Good luck though!!!!!

If the ski is a soft flexing ski for beginners or intermediates, then yes. Stiff tailed skis for advanced skiers will be tougher. The narrower they are, the better they'll track. The wider and shaplier, the better for turns.

A simple kit of kick wax and some climbing skins will get you moving forward.