Dayhiking Great Sand Dunes National Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExploreTheEast

Reaction score
I don't know if this is appropriate for a VFTT trip report, but I know that GSD has come up in prior threads, so I figured I'd share my weekend's experience with you guys.

I'd been to GSD plenty of times before, having visited at least 3 or 4 times before I moved to Colorado a little over 2 years ago. It's one of the most unique places in the U.S., its claim to fame being the tallest sand dunes in North America. Some of the dunes rival the size of the ski resorts I grew up on in the Poconos!

Anyway, what made this trip different than any other time I've been was the wind. It was blowing at a steady 20-30 miles an hour, with random gusts pushing 40+. Needless to say, I am still carting sand around in every orifice. lol Next time, a hooded t-shirt and a bandana are must-have's in the pack!

It was also a couple of my friend's 1st times out in this part of Colorado (one lives in NJ, the other in Los Angeles), so it was so great to see them experience it for the first time. They had a blast! I'd highly recommend the park to anyone visiting Colorado. Hopefully the fun we had is evident in the video we shot- http://vimeo.com/wandr/great-sand-dunes-national-park

ps - If anyone knows how to embed the video here, feel free to do so! I must be getting old. lol