Daypack Recommandations... - moved from Q&A

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redcloud

Reaction score
Daypack Recommandations...

I have been renewing my interest in dayhiking again, and am thinking on getting a new pack. I have an old Quest now that is ok, but I don't like the design of the bottle pockets. When I bend forward, the bottles usually fall out of them. They need to be more upright.
Anyone care to recommend to me what they like? I am talking about something big enough for extra sweaters, a jacket, hat, gloves, and a lunch bag, and of course, good water bottle access pockets. I am only thinking on day use for now.
Also, what size do you think measured in cubic inches?
I am 6' tall so I can take a pretty good size bag on my back, but I don't want more than I need for a day out.
Thanks for any help, Eric

Go to www.campmor.com type in kelty blanca under keyword/item search. Check out the Kelty Blanca. It will hold two water bottles in insulated sleeves or on their own without them falling out. Very versatile pack. Lots of space and the shovel pocket lets you cram in lots of extra gear if you want.

FWIW, I love my Kelty Redwing. Comes in 3 torso sizes, I have the middle one and I think it will suffice for this weeks upcoming overnighter in the Sewards. It is hydration bladder compatible and has been flawless over 5 tough hikes this year.

ADK Rick

I use the mountainsmith ghost pack in the summer (most popular pack on the AT a few years back)very light and durable.A great hip belt snugs into lower back ie no weight on shoulders.I use a marmot eiger pack for winter.frame sheet and narrow profile and great suspension.
We will not speak but stand inside the rain
And listen to the thunder shout
I am,I am,I am,I am

ditto on the Kelty Redwing, an all around hands down winner for price, capacity, durability and functionality. Also, I picked up a Marmot Talus 2 years ago and absolutely love the pack. It is the perfect size for daylong Dayhikes and shorter winter jaunts. It has about 4 pockets including a padded sunglasses pocket that I can keep my cell phone and GPS in.

I use a Serratus Genie: Genie

It doesn't look like much, but I've added a 15mm thick pad in an internal sleeve which makes it more comfortable to carry against my back and makes it warmer to sit on in winter. I can attach OR water bottle parkas to the waist belt which is more convenient than the mesh bottle carriers. Crampons can go on the front or top, snowshoes on the front, ice axes on the front, etc. If I remove the foam pad, it can be compressed to the size of a grapefruit which makes it convenient to carry as a daypack when basecamping. It weights less than a pound and is quite comfortable to carry loads up to about 15 lbs.

I've had a Deuter AC Lite 2000 for two years, and have been very happy with it. I think there's a 2500 cubic inch version as well. Durable, very light, with outside pockets and a hydration bladder, and, most important, a mesh backing that keeps the pack off your back (except for the shoulder straps). This makes a huge difference in the summer, as your back actually stays cool instead of wet with sweat.

http://www.rockcreek.com/products/listing/item1261.asp

Goilite has a variety of lightweight options. For example:

http://www.golitestore.com/store/NS_proddetail.asp?number=PA5004

On a winter daytrip with enough gear to spend a night out in case of emergency, a Golite Trek or Gust would work, too. NB. The packs are lightweight because they do not have the weight of a frame used for transfering weight off your shoulders. The hip belts on the Goiltes are to keep the packs snug to your back, not to transfer or lift the weight. Nevertheless, the weight you save is measured in pounds, not just ounces.

ralphnetta said:
Take a look at The North Face Yavapai; Backcountry has it available for around $68. Has everything that you said you needed and more. www.backcountry.com

I have a Yavapai but stopped using it because of the way the water bottle pockets were designed. They were too far back on the pack and I couldn't reach them without loosening my pack up quite a bit or having someone reach them for me. I switched to a camelbak a couple of years ago and really enjoy it.

ADK Rick said:
FWIW, I love my Kelty Redwing. Comes in 3 torso sizes, I have the middle one and I think it will suffice for this weeks upcoming overnighter in the Sewards. It is hydration bladder compatible and has been flawless over 5 tough hikes this year.

ADK Rick

I noticed that the Redwing does not have that upper flip pocket that looks like a headrest. Is this extra compartment a big deal, or is it not necessary for a pack of this size?
Thanks for any help, Eric

I've got a three year old North Face Recon daypack that I love for day hikes. The only complaint I have is that I had to do a little tinkering with straps for winter hiking and strapping my snowshoes on the back of the pack. Can use either water bottles with this sucker or, as I did last fall, use a camelback unbottle with it. Freed up the two bottle pockets for other items I wanted to reach without taking off my pack. However, if you decide you want your pack for more than just day hiking, I'd opt for something bigger. This bugger is only 1850 cubic inches.

For dayhiking, I downsized this year to a big waist pack with clip on shoulder straps, which has worked out very well. Just enough room for everything I need. Three-season only; too small for winter.

Steve

I decided to go with the Kelty Redwing. I checked it out on LL Bean's website. I like the extra side storage pockets as well as the hydration usage. I got it for $89 which is a good deal.
Thanks for all the responses, Eric