Daypacks for Kids

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADKnBVI

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for kids' daypacks?

Our niece and nephew are 11 and 9 years old. Currently, they each carry a platypus hydration system when we hike together, but those can't really carry all their gear (sweater, rain gear, etc) so it ends up on their parents' backs.

We decided to get them daypacks for Christmas.

When I search on kids' daypacks, all I get are bright-colored canvas school bags. Their father wants them to have a normal hiker daypack like an adult's with hipbelt, slot for the platypus and the whole deal.

The closest I've come so far is a women's Go-Lite VO24, but even the smallest size is calling for a spine length of 15.5 inches. They kids are still around 13.5-14 inches.

Has anyone found a model that they feel they can recommend?

The kids do have full packs, but they're overkill for normal walks.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Valerie

We've used a different approach: hand-me-down school packs from previous years. The kids seem to require new ones for fashion, so I use the old ones for myself and them, too. They have a lot of pockets, store an adequate amount for a full day-hike, and cost about ten bucks at Boxmart. When they wear out, move on to the next.

If I wanted to indulge my kids with hiking gear, it'd be footwear, but I wish you good luck in any case.

Funny, recently a lot of my friends just started having children, are about to have children, or are thinking about having children. Although I'm not quite there yet, I started thinking about what if I had children and the possibilities of backpacking. . . and so I started looking up some backpacks, and kind of liked the Osprey packs, specifically the Sprint series. But then I started thinking how young can I actually start them out. . .

But check out the Osprey Sprints

But then I started thinking how young can I actually start them out. . .

Talk to Trish and Alex!! I think Alex is 5 yrs old, is that right, Trish? Knocking down 4000-footers like they were a walk in the park! :p

The smallest of the Sprints (the Imps) look like a good option! I'm investigating! Thanks!

Valerie

But then I started thinking how young can I actually start them out. . .

Start them out as newborns, with them on your back or in a sling! Just keep hiking and carrying them, make it part of your life routine. As they get older, you can put them down and have them walk every once in a while, just until they want to be carried again.

As for packs -- can't advise because Alex is too young for most kids' packs (Valerie's right, she's 5). I converted a hydration pack for her to use for now.

I wouldn't mind hearing more personal experience with the Osprey Sprint series as I had been considering it for Christmas as well... The kids don't come when the weather is too cool or too rainy so generally we can get by with a pack per parent for now.

Tim

Last edited:
Daypacks for kids

My daughter is 8. We bought her a Black Diamond Bullet pack this year and she loves it. With the waist and chest straps she finds it a lot more comfortable on her shoulders than the school bags she was using before.