Daytime Leanto etiquette/protocol/practice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couchybar

Reaction score
Thinking of camping in the Colden lake Flowed lands area and going for a few last winter 20004/05 peaks. I have always managed to camp away from popular areas and always in a tent. Considering using a leanto to save weight. Is it standard practice to leave ones belongings (sleeping bag and other non dayhike gear) spread out/ packed up or hung in these shelters? Is the sleeping bag generally safe from critters or must it be specially stored? Is there usually open water this time of the year near these shelters?

Thanks

I don't know if this is standard practice, but it is what I have done. While staying at a leanto in summer, I left my sleeping bag folded in half on the pad, so as to save my spot in the leanto, but still allow room for people to sit and walk in the leanto during the day. I tried to keep my other stuff in my backpack, which was hung on a peg, so as not to lose it amongst everyone else's stuff. I think I did leave a few wet clothes hanging around from nails.

I can't speak to critters and water issues in the winter at Lake Colden.

Couchy,
I generally will leave my sleeping pad out in my spot as CrazyMama suggests and also "claim a nail" to hang my pack on as well as my candle lantern. I do, however, usually hang my sleeping bag over the wooden center beam right above my spot, so as to keep it off the floor. I also hang my food bag, though I believe now you need a canister.

If I am doing a dayhike in the AM, I will not usually bother to put my stove away after breakfast, and just leave it at the foot of my sleeping pad.

I have never had a problem with mice in my pack or sleeping bag (that I know of) when off on daytrips. FWIW, They are most active in the cover of dark.

Generally I find folks pretty good about not touching another's gear, although on occassion, you will find rude folks that might move your stuff over and take over (Which is generally why I like to claim a wall spot while staying at t Lean-to). But for the most part, I beleive most of the folks you meet are curteous to others.

I've never had a problem leaving my gear in a lean-to while I day hiked. As others have said just be courteous of other hikers/campers as the lean-to is to be shared.

Make sure you hang your food while gone or use a canister.

Doubtful you'll find open water anywhere around there -- plan on melting snow. I stayed at Flowed Lands last winter and someone had tried to chop a hole in the ice to get at water -- they stopped when the hole was about 2 feet deep and they still hadn't reached water.

as others have said you shouldn't have a problem with any of your stuff. just keep the lean-to in neat shape (no clutter in or out of hte lean-to) and all should be fine.

as far as water, there are some open spots over near the outlet of Lake Colden into Flowed lands. i was jsut up there this past weekend. also, the water pipe is still flowing BUT very slowly...

happy hiking/skiing

Thanks all for the encouraging responses. I now feel more comfortable about using the leantos. Just hoping that the wind is blowing in the right direction :)

Hanging Food

Just don't leave your food in your pack. If a mouse or some other critter wishes to get to your food and it's in your pack "it" will chew through you pack to get to the food.

If you hang your food you can cut the top off of a tin can and put it on the rope you use about 1 foot down from where you hang it from. The mice can't get past the tin can top on the rope to get to your food bag.

When you store you pack leave all zippers open. This will allow a porkupine or other critter to get what they want to with out chewing through your pack. A lot of those animals are attracted to salt. If you have sweaty clothing in the pack and it's zippered the critter may chew through your pack to get to it. With it unzipped the critter will just stick it's nose in there and your clothing or miss. item might get chewed a little, but at least you've saved your pack from the same abuse.

As for leaving gear, I think that most everyone here has given good advice. It is OK to leave your sleeping pad and sleeping bag out in "your" spot. The only advice I would give to make it more respectful is always chose a side versus the middle. People in groups like to sleep together versus split up by a hiker that saved a spot.

Camping in leantos

I won't state was has already been stated and so well, but I will say that in general the rule is that people are of better moral fiber the further away from the trail head that one gets and the harsher the season.
But I do worry about the critters that are drawn to leantos, at all seasons. I had my food raided by pine martens during the day while we were out peak-bagging one feb.
Also , it is always warmer in some sort of tent or bivy shelter.