Debsconeag Lake reconnaisance - Sept. 2, 2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
After three nights in Baxter Park, we had planned four nights but the Park was closed the first night due to the hurricane, we headed south with an eye on the weather which had been forecast to deteriorate over the weekend.

We originally entertained thoughts about driving to the launch for Debsconeag Deadwater shown in DeLorme page 50 and paddling out to one of the campsites on the Lake. Our enthusiasm for backcountry camping was dampened by the forecast but we wanted to check ot the launch and nearby campsites.

First, let me say that you can launch at a few places: the boat launch shown on the map or two beaches, known as Omaha and Little Omaha respectively. These beaches are the site of several semi-improved campsites consisting of a few privvies and firerings. There is a fee to camp here, $8/night per person, $4 if Maine residents.

The Lake is absolutely gorgeous and graced with loons. Access is very difficult, whether by water from elsewhere or by the road we took in, so boating is minimal and power boating seems non-existant except perhaps for the ocassional fisherman with and outboard. The only ominous sign was all the broken bottles in one of the fire rings.

Desconeag is a series of lakes connected by portage trails and streams which I assume are not navigable. Each has some primitive campsites. I would definitely want to return here ... only one problem.

I am known to seek out back roads and logging roads, including some well under way to natural recovery, in the interest of finding new ways to trails or paddling opportunities. We have been up Caribou Valley Road when at least one of the bridges was nothing more than two conveniently spaced I-beams and have spent time on the Lolo Motorway in Idaho ... I can safely say that the road in to Debsoneag Deadwater is the worse road I've been on. You will definitely need high clearance and you would be taking your chances without 4 WD. You would not want to bring a trailer on this road. This road is a series of potholes, washouts and boulders connected by a band of gravel to help you find the next obstacle.

This access probably goes a long way to make the lake as pleasant as it is. I think it is worth it but not before searching out access to other lakes in the chain.