deer ticks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very Comprehensive Article on Ticks / Lyme

Heres' a link to the magazine " Northern Woodlands" with an article about Ticks. It's title is appropriate for this link...It's "Tale of the Tick: How Lyme Disease is Expanding Northward".
Maybe just a little too comprehensive :eek:

Tale of the Tick: How Lyme Disease is Expanding Northward

Catch you on the long brown path.....Walker :D

Chip said:
I guess that helps with the:

"without leaving the mouth-parts of the tick planted in the skin.
without compressing the abdomen of the ticks, minimizing the transfer agents (Lyme's disease, babesiosis...)"

Nice new Avatar composition, BTW !

Thanks... I'm tempted to put the Red Sox in the middle but it won't go with the user name.

I've read about using a straw to guide a loop of thread (slip knot) around the tick for the same reason - to not squeeze anything out of the tick. This resembles your basic claw hammer pulling out a nail. The twisting part is interesting -- I was interested in whether or not that would twist the head off and leave it in the host. I've always been able to detach embedded ticks using tweezers, although I may have squeezed them in so doing.

Those of you who use this -- what happens with twisting? Does the tick twist or the skin of the host?

Tim

I twist fairly slowly and have always gotten the whole tick. Last week I pulled a fairly large engorged tick off and put it on white paper to try and ID it. It started to crawl, and then two nymphs crawled off of it and tried to get away. They were both deer ticks. I'm not squemish, but that was pretty gross!

Quietman said:
I twist fairly slowly and have always gotten the whole tick.
I just got bit tonight after doing my hill-avec-pack workout at our highschool. Got in the car to drive home and felt a tickle on my knee - dug it out with my nail before I could stop to think. I'll watch the spot. Odds are no Lyme will be contracted.