Devil's Path day hike - partners wanted

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOC-1

Reaction score
Is anyone interested in joining me to day hike the full Devil's Path in the Catskills on Labor Day weekend (preferably Sun. or Mon.) ? No records will be set on this hike. I'm 46 and just glad to be feeling strong enough to takcle it this summer. My likely time will be 11 - 12 hours. East to west or vice versa (both strategies have their advantages I think) with a food/water cache on Rt. 214 and car spotting. A tentative 'yes' is fine. I live in Greene County about an hour from the trailheads so last minute plans are fine with me. - Al

You're in for a treat

I did this with some friends last June. It was quite challenging, which therefore made it a whole lot of fun. I'm dieing to do it again, but can't make it for Labor Day.

If you'd like to read my trip report, here's a direct link. There might be a nugget or two of information on it which could be useful.

Best of luck and I wish I could make it. You'll have an awesome time, I'm sure. :)

that is a fun trail and I want to do it as a dayhike. It has been an yearly tradition to attempt the dayhike on thebackpacker. We always did it the first weekend in June. This past year it was really hot and only a few of the group finished the trail.

I have yet to do the second half, but the first half (Indian Head to Devils Tombstone) seems to be the hardest part. The second half you get the killer climb up Hunter, but it sounds like the going gets alot better once you're up on Hunter and Diamond Notch, with its waterfall is supposed to be quite reviving.

I hope you have a good time and are successful. The weather over Labor Day weekend is looking to be excellent! I'm going to do the Black Forest Trail in Pennsylvania, otherwise I'd join ya.

Next year we are going to do it the second to last weekend in May, the first weekend that Devils Tombstone CG opens up. We always car camp there when we do it. It's a great logistical campground for the trail.

AOC said:
FYI - the hike will be on Saturday 9-3.
Ugh, so tempting. I've already committed though to doing a 2 day Mount Washington Hike this weekend.

I'll be watching the weather though... if Bob&Geri & MEB bail for the Presidential Traverse on Sunday, I might be more inclined to going to the Catskills instead.

If you end up rescheduling, let us know.

-Dr. Wu