Dial-ing Nippletop 3/6/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADKdremn

Reaction score
Dial-ing In Nippletop 3/6/2009

I headed up late Thursday night with my brother in law in hope of adding 4 peaks to my list. We had reservations at the Cascade Ski Center where we arrived to see our Room number taped to the door. The only problem was the door was locked! Not exactly a welcome greeting at 12 in the morning. Some pounding on the door provided no results. Luckily, one of us was good with a credit card and before we knew it we were in our beds. Nice place, just make sure they leave it unlocked if you're arriving late.
The plan was to head in towards D and N first, knowing that DLHiker had been there on Thursday, and then hopefully add on Colvin and Blake. We arrived to an empty lot and got our packs together. Soon after a couple of nice ladies arrived and they were headed to Colvin and Blake. We signed in at 7 and were off down the Lake Road for the first time. I've heard so much about it over the years it was nice to finally see it for myself. It was a warm morning, that looked to be nicer than what the weathermen had predicted. Some decent views on our way up, especially from the burn area, even saw a rainbow! The warmer temps made the snow conditions not so nice. Lots of clumping of snow on the snowshoes and banging them to get the snow off provided an extra workout. As if the hike alone wasn't enough! I was a little faster than my b-i-l so I got to enjoy plenty of alone time and then would break and wait for him to catch up. Somewhere near the summit of Bear Den I took a prolonged break and made a little snowman to take a picture of for my kids. We haven't really had the right snow down here in PA for snowman building this year so the picture would have to do for them. My b-i-l caught up and we headed out over Bear Den where it looked like it was really shaping up to be a nice day. Some decent views over towards the Great Range and the forest fire/new growth really added some character to this pretty cool little mountain. We headed down into the col together and then started up Dial. My b-i-l said see you on top and I resumed my lead out in front. The snow was firm, but progressively deeper and drifted. With the warmth and how solid the snow was I was surprised at the drifts, must have been some pretty strong winds. In some places DLHikers tracks were not seen. The higher I got the more enveloped I became in the clouds. There were no views and the winds were blowing pretty good. Shortly before the summit my b-i-l made contact with me that he was having knee problems (something he's been dealing with for a while now) and issues with cramping. He told me he was heading back to the car and that I should press on without him. There was some debating, etc, but in the end I pushed on and he reassured me he would be fine and just take his time and enjoy the woods on his way out. I reached the summit and had a quick snack and drink and moved on. There was nothing to be seen except white. Between Dial and Nippletop pretty much all of DLHikers tracks were gone. More deep, windblown drifts and with the warmer temps all the trees were dripping wet, as was I! Fortunately, the higher I got up Nippletop the wet trees were frozen trees so I got a break from the shower I had been getting. I thought I was on top til I reached the wonderful sign that informed me it was another .2 miles. Now I was following ski tracks and an occassional snowshoe print from DLHiker. Tagged the summit and promptly turned right around to head down. Again, not a single view. I headed down Elk Pass and that trail is relentlessly steep! Must be an amazing butt slide, but I chose not to risk it being alone. Not to mention it was well packed, which would have added to the speeds, from the skiiers who had been up it on Thursday I presume. I reached the junction for C and B and what a decision I had to make. It was only 1 o'clock and they were oh so close. I stood there for about 5 minutes looking up the trail and then down the trail. Plenty of time to get them both! It was a goal I had set for myself, but wasn't sure it was something I could do. I know plenty of people do it, but with my trips so far and few between I never know exactly what I'll be capable of that day. At this point, I knew I could do it. That's what made the decision so hard. In the end, I headed out. I didn't feel right leaving my b-i-l sit in the car for another 2-3 hours. I scratched a quick note in the snow for the ladies we met earlier in the day and headed down. Before I knew it I was out on the road. Snowshoes off, and I was off. Chatted with a guy for a little who had walked the road and then pressed on. Being my first time on the road it was enjoyable, but I certainly see how it can be monotonous for those that have walked it many times. Reached the register where my b-i-l had left a note saying he had made it out and was fine. I got back to the car at 2:45 feeling pretty good about two peaks, but disappointed at the same time knowing it could have been 4. It was so early, but oh well, the peaks aren't going anywhere, and who am I to complain about another trip?!?!
31/46
13/46W

Last edited: