Dipping our toes in "winter waters", Dec 30, 2004

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavs00

Reaction score
We'll be going up to Lake Placid on the 29th and plan on hiking on the 30th (December). Taking the newly anointed 46-R kids, who are "pumped" to bag thier first "official" winter peaks (god willing ;) ). Probably end up doing something fairly reasonable (distance wise). Cascade/Porter, Algonquin/Wright, Big Slide or even Phelps/Tabletop (if conditions are right) have all been discussed.

We'd love to have some of you fine folks join us. I know it's mid-week, but hell its flu season, and the perfect time to "blow in sick" and squeeze in another high peak or two before the year ends. Respond here or by PM if interested.

As I said, we're pretty open as far as peaks, but certainly not, looking for an 11 hour winter "death slog" for their first winter peak (2nd or 3rd maybe :D ). Hope you can make it.

Almost

Tim... so close! I'm planning on driving up the 28th and hiking on the 29th. Have to work the 30th. I'll try to shift that day off. The Dubois family in the Adirondacks in WINTER!

Tim,

One day off! We are climbing back there on the 31st. Should you be interested, some of us are going past Lake Arnold toward Feldspar. I always thought Colden is an excellent winter peak to start on. Great views, false summit and not to difficult. It would be fun to join up with you on a trip up there. We would leave for Feldspar on returning to Lake Arnold.

-Ed

Hi Mavs, I am off from 12/23 till 1/2 providing it doesn't snow then I have to work. I have just about everything on your list except algonqiun. If you decide on doing that peak I would be interested in doing it. Why haven't you posted this on your forum?

PVON has a cool plan--consider this:

Consider leaving Cascade for the Last Winter 46'r.

Not speaking from my own experience, since Cascade was my first W46'r, but when I met Pvon last winter he explained his strategy: Save Cascade for last, because it is a great anybody-can-do-it peak, the view is awesome, and what better way to celebrate the goal than with a bunch of others who will join you on a relatively easy peak!

Well, I wish I had thought of that myself. Whatever you climb, have a blast. And I guess everybody should plan on joining Pvon on Cascade on New Year's Day, or Eve, or which ever day he plans to wrap it up.

Hmmmmm, seems like we all have specific days we can go. Like I said we're pretty open, except for the date. The 30th is a lock. As for peaks, Not sure we'll save it for last but, we might put off Cascade till later. Algonquin/Wright sounds fine to me (and the rest of the gang), but come to think of it, so does Colden, We'll keep an open mind and wait til the day gets close. adk 46r, If you need Algonquin, we'd be fine with that one , but would obviously want AT THE VERY LEAST want to add Wright too.

ALG, switch your days off man and come with us, I'll even break trail for you and show you just how much of a "winter wuss" I am. ;).

adk, I forgot to post it on my site, but hey I wanted it to get read too ya know. :D

I need colden too. So that would be good with me.

Arghhhh!!!

I can't switch days off! And I have to drive home Wednesday night, so I can't even come and annoy you folks after my hike... If the Fab Four gets addicted to hiking in the snow, I'll make it a point to coordinate a future climb with you good people.

So it's Wednesday Dec. 29th for me. Anybody want to join me? Colden? Wright? Or bring a snow shovel and we'll hike Shepherd's Tooth to look for my camera (OK, not really, but that one would be a blast some other wintery weekend!).

46W finish New Years Eve, Dec. 31

whitelief is correct. So long as the "Seward ATTACK" goes as planned for this Wednesday, I will finish my winter 46 with friends and family on Cascade Friday, Dec. 31. I expect we'll start around 9 AM.

Pvon

Here the scoop

Looks like the consesus at "the ranch" is Algonquin/Wright and we'll be leaving arounf 8 AM from the LOJ (possibly 7:30AM). adk, that sound okay for you?

As a side issue, we'll be arriving into placid on the afternoon of the 29th and leaving in the AM of the 31st. If your up there, but can't hike for whatever reason and want to just meet for some food or cocktails on either night, drop me a note and will hope to hear from you.

Happy Holidays everyone from all of us to all of you.

Peace

Last edited:
arm said:
might as well throw in a quick Iroquois and Shepards Tooth while you're there, Tim

leave no stragglers !

the kids will thank you ;)

I hear ya, Already bounced over Algonquin a couple times on that run for our summer round, after leaving Iroquois hanging out there. It's a possbility, specially if there a group of STRONG TRAIL BREAKERS we can follow ;)

I'm sure will catch up with you guys at some point during week. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks

Hey Tim,

I think I recognize that "snow swimming" avatar! I will never forget that trip.

I wish I could join you all on the 30th, but gotta work that day. Let me know if you plan to do any more peaks this winter. I'd like to get a few in.

Saturday/Sunday works the best for me. That darn work really interferes with things.

CM

Tim, The 30th looks good, The weather forcast for now is great. Shannon and I will probably do street and nye on the 26th so we may be a little slower than normal. I think if we could bag Iraquois with Algonquin it would be awsome. Below are two quotes from this thread. I think the heaviest should go first to Iraquois and find all the spruce traps. I am assuming by your pictures that would be you! What ever you do, Shannon and I are willing to do to make it a good first winter experiance for the kids. I am sure they can out hike me without me doing street and nye before your hike.

ALG, switch your days off man and come with us, I'll even break trail for you and show you just how much of a "winter wuss" I am. ;).

"It's a possbility, specially if there a group of STRONG TRAIL BREAKERS we can follow "

adk-46r said:
........ Below are two quotes from this thread. I think the heaviest should go first to Iraquois and find all the spruce traps. I am assuming by your pictures that would be you! What ever you do, Shannon and I are willing to do to make it a good first winter experiance for the kids. I am sure they can out hike me without me doing street and nye before your hike........

Sure, let the fat kid go first to find the spruce traps. :rolleyes: The story of my life. Damn, at 190#, I'm still the "spruce trap bait", just doesn't seem right :) . Also, I think you'll be surprised by the kids, they'll do fine, so long as we keep em' warm. They're fully outfitted and will be fine. Supposed to fairly reasonable anyway.

We're all game to try for Iroquois (if conditions permit), It's my favorite peak in the range anyway, so you'll get no objection from me. We might have a couple other join in too.

I am not worried about the kids. I am the one who is old and out of shape. I was hoping the kids could help push my wheel chair up over the rough areas. :(
Right now the local weather channel calls for 28 for a high that day but wind is always a factor on Algonquin. Sruce traps can really be fun as long as they happen to someone else; but it is something you have to experience to really appreciate them. :rolleyes:

I am hoing to join your hike on the 29th. The weather forecast is great. I'm a winter newbie...excited but nervous. Lurkette

Lurkette said:
I am hoing to join your hike on the 29th. The weather forecast is great. I'm a winter newbie...excited but nervous. Lurkette

Our Hike???????? Is on the 30th. Did you mean ours or ALG's(his is on the 29th. Your more than welcome to join us ON THE 30TH :D

I'm on vacation ...dates are a bit blurry....planning on hiking on the 30th.
Diana

I'll be somewhere on the Great Range Wed/Th/Fri. I'll wave at you.

Wea looks good!