disagreement is good

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I beg to differ....

Actually, the 4th post is by a member called Boots. He raised the issue re reception on some of the summits he'd been on. I was the 5th post and jumped in at that point.

Beg?

You are the 4th REPLY to the orginal post.

I will agree Boots reply regards summits but it still pertains to RECEPTION...not USE.

Again...I agree with you on the abuse of the tool. But, to simply think that cell phones are a scourge and short term phenemonon is short sighted.

Education, experience and enforcement of exisiting SAR protocols do a lot more than simple dismissal of a previous unthought of TOOL.

Anyways...I suspect you and I agree a WHOLE lot more than we disagree, so please excuse my somewhat "let's get into it" Irish tendencies.

Peace.

Boy, if things are getting boring on a hiking board, just mention cell phones and sit back. It NEVER fails. Other tried and trues are dogs, guns and snowmobiles. ;)

Back to the topic, which was an honest attempt to get information. I won't defend myself by saying that I only use my cell to check in with my wife in the evenings on overnights. That not being said..... my brothers also have brought their phones(didn't trust that my ebay phone would work) and in several head to head comparisons(in the whites, western Maine, and western Mass.) Verizon beat AT&T and Sprint everytime. Their coverage seems to be superior in the NE.
I hate to interupt my solitude in the woods to call home, but swinging in the hammock under the stars is even more peaceful knowing that my family is safe and sound. I just wish that I had a 45, a pit bull and a skidoo so I could really have fun!:D

Last edited:
Quietman said:
I hate to interupt my solitude in the woods to call home, but swinging in the hammock under the stars is even more peaceful knowing that my family is safe and sound. I just wish that I had a 45, a pit bull and a skidoo so I could really have fun!:D [/B]

You forgot the power inverter, deep cycle battery, and the Bose WaveRadio to mask those scary sounds in the woods at night, the turkey fryer, and my favorite -- the folding mountain bike with the 25cc Rooster 2000 rim-drive assist engine.

Forget the snowmobile - I can't wait until I can take my dirtibke up the Tuckerman trail. :D

"I don't mean this to be offensive to the posters on this thread, but 99% of the hiking public goes into the mountains to escape the jangle of the modern world."

That would mean that only 1% of hikers carry cellphones.

I don't think so.

They may want to escape...but only so far.

Peakbagr said:
Your original question asked about reception in the Whites. When the first reply came back about reception on the summits, it was time to for someone to step in. I'm sorry you disagree, but regardless of how YOU perceived the thread should develop, its my view that folks understand how trail and summit use of cellphones is seen by others.

I do disagree. The last thing I wanted to do in creating this thread was reopen the cell phone misuse can of worms. I knew I took a risk with such a contentious issue, so I tried to be very specific, including the intended use of said cell phone in an obviously vain effort to minimize any potential conflict.

What confuses me is why you would want to throw gasoline on such a volatile subject. I know we all have our pet peeves, but if someone asked a question about tents, I wouldn't jump in condemning stealth camping.

My intent was not to monopolize the board, but to try to keep the thread on topic -- rather than having it segue into psuedo-related issues. Now, I find myself debating board etiquette, disagreeing with the Moderator. Not something I even imagined doing.

I mean no disrespect. I admire your willingness to take on the job of moderator and believe you do a fine job. I am not questioning your ability in that regard. I believe this may be a personal difference of opinion.

I willingly admit that I am attempting to strong-arm this issue, simply to get what I'm looking for, not an argument. Ooops, blew that.....

99% of my posts are as a board member. In THAT capacity, I disagree. I dislike it when someone "kidnaps" a thread that I begin. However, when the first reply that spoke about reception on the summits, I felt a duty to respond. There was no intention to throw gasoline on anything, so in that sense, we will have to continue to disagree.

Last edited:
I'll be on the summit of Carrigain Saturday morning.
I will bring my cell phone.
I will call my children.
How the F is that a problem to anyone?
Meet me up there and tell me I can't do it.
I'll post on Monday regarding reception with my AT&T wireless.

Jim

Read some Thoreau, Waterman (Backwoods ethics, etc.), etc. You will find out that many treat the summits like the interior of a cathedral. You don't see people use their cell phones in a church, do you ? Even tourists that are only visiting and could'n care less about religion respect that. If you are alone on a summit, do what you want. If people are around, be considerate. How does that sound ? :)

This thread is getting very tedious. At some point we have to be tollerant of others. If you can't, then buy your own mountain and make the laws.

Re: Jim

Ridgerunner said:
You will find out that many treat the summits like the interior of a cathedral. You don't see people use their cell phones in a church, do you ? Even tourists that are only visiting and could'n care less about religion respect that.

Hummm...do people bring their dogs to church?;)

Sometimes I find it helpful (for me) to not look at how one person's in a hundred behavior will affect things, but how would it be if everyone were behaving that way. If everybody were calling family and friends from summits; if everybody brought a boombox; if everybody brought their perfectly-behaved dog, etc.

I try to enjoy the outdoors and realize I am not alone there, even when in those rare moments when I can't see or hear anyone else. I try to minimize my impact on other people's experience just as I hope they are trying to do the same for me. I realize that allowances have to be made, but I try not to automatically think that those alowances must be made for me.

As trails and summits get more crowded, this gets to be a bigger problem and I need to be even more sensitive to my impact on others, especially if I want the same consideration.

So I guess, Jim W, that's "how the F" (charmed, I'm sure!) it could be a problem for anybody.

Last edited:
This began as a legitimate thread by Peri. When I replied to Boots' comments on summit reception I inadvertently triggered some back and forth on the whole cellphone useage thing. Up until a couple of posts ago, the discussion was civil.
I'd ask folks who now want to jump in to please let this whole thing die.

I would go with Verizon Wireless all the way. I keep mine packed and OFF. I have to admit, I have tested it a few times- but without anyone else nearby. I don't believe in ruining anothers hike and their solitude. It is there in case another hiker or I am in need of emergency assistance.

Also, forget about NEXTEL service north of exit 21 on I-93....don"t even waste the money.:)

amstony said:
I don't believe in ruining anothers hike and their solitude.
This is a recurrent theme in the secondary discussion generated by the original question. But let's look at it.

Of course, the huge majority of us are pretty conscientious about not "ruining" somebody else's hike. But let's be careful how we define it. If to impose on someone else's "solitude" by just appearing on the scene is to ruin their hike, should we stay off the summit and hide in the cripplebrush until they vacate so they can have the illusion of being alone? Or is it enough to just be careful and discrete so we don't crowd their space unnecessarily and unreasonably as we share the summit?

Same applies to conversation. Should we refrain altogether from conversing with our companions when we are on trail or summit or anywhere else, lest we disturb the silence? Or should we be allowed to converse and act like normal human beings as long as we aren't making an untoward ruckus? And what, pray tell, is the material difference between a couple of people conversing quietly about the view and their experience as they sit next to one another enjoying a summit, and someone quietly speaking into a cell phone as he describes the view and his sensations to someone back home?

I apologize about getting off topic for this thread. I don't raise these questions to start or continue an argument. They are simply tossed out there to stimulate quiet individual reflection.

G.

Last edited:
what was this thread about?

I thought the questions was simple and direct.
there is nothing worse than reading a thred title, going to it to get valuable information and reading pages and pages of BS.
the use of a phone in Periwinkle's first post is reasonable
no direspect to all but:

back on topic it sounds like people have good signals from Verizon.
Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.