Donaldson-Emmons-Don............

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PINPIN JUNIOR

Reaction score
Hi hikers and readers,

Yesterday, December 12, Junior and me had a plan to Seward range with a priority to Seward.

Few minutes after 6 a.m. We leave the base camp in a small rain!!!! :eek:

When We arrived at the Coreys bridge, We saw 3 cars, one just come back from the opposite side of the bridge. I think maybe the gate is closing!!!

We drove and saw the gate was open, We need to stay very allert to drive in a soft deep snow in this road, but without trouble We arrived at the summer parking. We did not trust the deep snow and took the decision to use the new warm up We know since We meet J&A ;) showelling a small place to keep the Pinpin mobil just outside of the road...

We put snowshoes on and signed for Seward under a cloudy sky but the rain was stopped.

On a wet soft snow in the trail and same condition to Coreys path junction, We arrived one hour later in front of Coreys brook. Unfortunately when We crossed the brook the ice can not support the weight, fortunately Junior kick me and the snowshoes was changing into flippers, we never caught the deep water, thank you Junior.
"I think You drink too many beers" Junior. :rolleyes:
I think You eat to many carrots. Alain.
Without trouble We stay in a perfect snowshoes tracks few minutes before the Donaldson summit.
At this place We saw the trail turned too early in the left, but fortunately We catched summit.
Thank You very much at the group make this nice job. :)
We checked the watch, ok. 2 hours 45 minutes from the parking, it was too early to go directly to Seward, the snowshoes tracks same tell Us "come in in the Emmons direction"
We can not resist, especially because We were in clouds without views and the forecast supposed We will have a clear sky in the afternoon.
It was a good decision; in less of 1 hour and half We come back on Donaldson summit.
We stay in the snowshoes tracks when We go down Donaldson but few minutes later we lose the snowshoes tracks, always without visibility We saw a open area and think it is the usual path to Seward.
5 minutes later We find snowshoes tracks, Junior snowshoes tracks, :eek: ok We know We turned too much in the left and used the usual Coreys path to go up Donaldson.
We returned where We made a mistake and find the old snowshoes tracks.
To make a trip report and not a novel, :D We find and lose many time snowshoes tracks with a couple of dead end!!!
After 45 minutes of this game, We take the decision to bushike on the right, because We know where We was.
It was impossible to stay in the usual path without visibility, We take the decision to go down on the left We know it was too early but just take a chance to stay in the right side of Seward.
Unfortunately We started too early to go up in a gully, few time after We recognizing this mistake but We prefered to stay go up and catch the ridge.
A couple of bad deep spruce traps, but Junior after 10 minutes with his face in the snow use his ears same a blowersnow, I need to tell him stop I was cover by the snow!!!
He took the decision to change his helping and used his ears same a hook to pull us outside of spruce traps. :cool:
Finally, always without visibility We arrived in a summit.
We know exactly where We are it was not the first time We arrived in this Seward South shoulder.
With over thousand precautions, We negociated a particulary difficult blowdown, same when We hike over shell eggs. :p
We find the usual path and We fell in a few other spuce traps We caught the real Seward summit with the small disque marker.
We take the decision to come back by the same appoach and I saw We make a couple of slaloms.
O.k Junior too many beers the evening before. :rolleyes:

We go down without trouble and retuned at the register after 8 hours and 27 minutes.

It was a great adventure, a other special day in this nice playground.

Unfortunately or fortunately with the rain and the snow all this snowshoes tracks will erase after tomorrow.

Only the Sabatines know what really was this approach because they go by this way today.

Pinpin Junior. :confused:

haha, well, I am glad I was able to contribute SOMETHING with my presence on that fated attempt of mine to hike cliff :eek:

I would love to try again some time, to keep up with you! I have been running miles and miles on these lowly little mountains around washington, DC to get in good shape for winter hiking (with temps in the 60s!)

next time I make the long journey up, I will be better prepared and will arrive with much better boots (and better auto tires!). where can I get crampons for my car??

Pin-Pin,
Your description of your hike from Donaldson to Seward sounds like a repeat of what Rik, Eric and I did last April. Do you remember the song, "The Wanderer" by Dion?

Last edited:
Alain, I never get tired of reading your reports of hikes with Junior. ALMOST makes me want to hike up Seward next weekend, but I'll settle for the Dixes!

Neil said:
Pin-Pin,
Your description of your hike from Donaldson to Seward sounds like a repeat of what Rik, Eric and I did last April. Do you remember the song, "The Wanderer" by Dion?

We could have used that snowblowing rabbit to get out of a couple spruce traps if I remember correctly.

Hey PinPin Jr.,
So that was you going by the bridge! I was in one of the 2 cars parked there. We'd been waiting for more than 1/2 hour for the 3rd member of our group, and no other vehicles came by. Suddenly there was one coming from each direction, and meeting right in front of us! I couldn't identify either vehicle because of the headlights. The one coming out was the 3rd member of our party. She reported that the road was slppery and slushy, and didn't want to drive it again. So we just talked for a while and eventually went home.
Your report reminds me of the time I went around in 2 circles near the summit of Donaldson. The first time I had to make my own tracks for part of it. The second time around was easier. :D